Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe
Sweet, creamy, and refreshingly herbaceous—this mint chip smoothie recipe is a must-try! It tastes like a mint chocolate trip treat, blended into a nutritious green smoothie with spinach. With banana and prune juice for all-natural sweetness, you don’t even need any added sugar! Add some rolled oats into the mix, and this simple smoothie becomes ultra-creamy, nourishing, and satisfying.
Check out my Prune Juice Smoothies for more naturally-sweet recipes, with no added sugars or sweeteners!
Mint Cacao Smoothie Benefits
Honestly, I could drink this mint cacao smoothie every day, it’s that good. It’s like a classic spinach banana smoothie, but with a dessert-inspired twist—with fragrant fresh mint and chocolaty, crunchy cacao nibs in every sip. I didn’t know this until I tried it, but I love some texture variation in a healthy smoothie. This recipe was actually inspired by a life-changing green smoothie that I had on a trip years ago, and it remains one of my favorites!
What better way to eat your leafy greens than in a comforting mint chocolate chip smoothie with spinach? On top of the vitamins and minerals from spinach, this vegan smoothie also offers some protein from the almond butter, plus complex carbs and prebiotic fiber from the oats. The cacao nibs not only add chocolaty indulgence, but also loads of magnesium, copper, and tons of powerful antioxidants. If you’re looking for a delicious and energizing smoothie, give this recipe a whirl!
Mint Chip Smoothie Ingredients & Substitutions
- Banana. I make this mint chip smoothie with frozen banana as the base, for natural creaminess and sweetness. If you’re not a fan of banana smoothies, you could make this green smoothie with frozen mango or frozen pineapple instead.
- Prune Juice. Another source of natural sweetness, along with loads of micronutrients and dietary fiber. Altogether, this mint smoothie with prune juice has 10g of fiber! Of course, feel free to substitute with a different fruit juice if preferred.
- Oats. Making a smoothie with rolled oats is a great way to add complex carbs, fiber, and a satisfyingly thick texture. You can add raw oats straight into the blender, or make an extra-comforting toasted oatmeal smoothie by toasting your oats in the oven first. If desired, you can substitute for oats with chia seeds, almond flour, or even plain cooked quinoa.
- Almond Butter. Use any nut butter that you like, or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- Vanilla. A classic addition that makes this chocolate mint smoothie taste more like dessert! But feel free to omit the vanilla if you’re not a fan.
- Mint Leaves. Since this is a mint cacao smoothie recipe, fresh mint flavor is essential! If you can’t find fresh mint leaves or just don’t want to use them, peppermint extract is a good alternative. (Just don’t use “mint extract”—otherwise your smoothie will taste like toothpaste!)
- Spinach. Personally, I prefer to make green smoothies with spinach because it’s my favorite leafy green, but you can use any greens you like. Turn this into a kale smoothie instead, or substitute with less-common smoothie greens like arugula or romaine.
- Cacao Nibs. Similar to the mint flavor, cacao nibs are essential here. They put the “chip” in this mint chip smoothie recipe! Cacao nibs have an irresistible crunch and a rich, chocolaty flavor that’s more earthy than it is sweet. If you want a sweeter mint chocolate smoothie, try swapping out the cacao nibs for chopped chocolate chips instead.
For more recipes like this, check out my Healthy Green Smoothies video!
Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe
- 1½ cups frozen banana, ~1½ large or 2 small
- ½ cup Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Prune Juice
- ½ cup oats
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mint leaves, or ¾ tsp peppermint extract, to taste
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs, crushed in blender
- Pulse cacao nibs in a blender to crush. (Just pulse into smaller pieces, don’t blend to a fine powder.) Remove and set aside.
- Add all smoothie ingredients (except crushed cacao nibs) to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a glass, stir in crushed cacao nibs, and enjoy!