Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe
Vegan Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe
Mint Cacao Smoothie with Fresh Mint, Spinach, Banana & Oats
Sweet, creamy, and refreshingly herbaceous—this mint chip smoothie recipe is a must try! It tastes like a mint chocolate trip treat, but it has plenty of wholesome leafy greens snuck into the mix. A flavorful and nutritious way to start the day, or a great snack to energize you mid-day. Honestly, I could drink this mint cacao smoothie every day!
It’s loaded with nutritious spinach, full of fragrant fresh mint flavor, and has crunchy crushed cacao nibs in every sip. I didn’t know it at first, but I’ve found that I love a bit of texture variation my smoothie. This mint chip smoothie was actually inspired by a life-changing smoothie that I encountered some years ago on a trip, and it remains one of my favorites!
What better way to get in our greens than with a satisfyingly sweet smoothie? Plus, with plenty of natural sweetness from the banana and prune juice, there’s no added sugars or sweeteners needed! This mint cacao smoothie is also totally vegan, offers a bit of protein from the almond butter, plus complex carbs and prebiotic fiber from the oats.
With any smoothie, you don’t need tons of ingredients, but I like to be intentional about the ingredients I choose. Thanks to its array of nutrients, this mint chip smoothie can really serve as a nourishing, balanced snack or part of a meal. If you’re looking for a delicious and fuel-filled breakfast option, it’s worth giving a whirl!
Mint Chip Smoothie Ingredients
- Frozen banana
- Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Prune Juice
- Almond butter
- Vanilla extract
- Mint leaves (or peppermint extract)
- Crushed cacao nibs
- Banana: In this mint chip smoothie recipe, the banana adds natural creaminess and sweetness. If you’re not a fan, try frozen mango, pumpkin puree, roasted sweet potato, or a flavored yogurt instead!
- Prune Juice: Similarly, the prune juice adds natural sweetness as well as loads of fiber and bone-supporting micronutrients! Of course, you’re welcome to use any juice you prefer.
- Oats: These add complex carbs, fiber, and thickness to your smoothie, but you’re welcome to swap them out for chia seeds, almond flour, or even plain cooked quinoa. (You won’t even taste it!)
- Almond Butter: Use any nut butter that you like, or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- Vanilla: Feel free to omit if you’re not a fan!
- Mint Leaves: Since this is a mint cacao smoothie recipe, the mint flavor is essential! But if you don’t want to use fresh mint or can’t find it, peppermint extract is a great alternative. (Just don’t use “mint extract”—otherwise your smoothie will taste like toothpaste!)
- Spinach: Personally, this is my favorite leafy green to use in smoothies, but you can use any greens that you like.
- Cacao Nibs: Similar to the mint, the cacao nibs are essential. They put the “chip” in this mint chip smoothie! However, you could swap them out for chopped chocolate chips if you wanted a sweeter treat.
For more recipes like this, check out my Healthy Green Smoothies video!
Mint Chip Smoothie Recipe
- 1½ cups frozen banana, ~1½ large or 2 small
- ½ cup Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Prune Juice
- ½ cup oats
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mint leaves, or ¾ tsp peppermint extract, to taste
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs, crushed in blender
- Pulse cacao nibs in a blender to crush. (Just pulse into smaller pieces, don’t blend to a fine powder.) Remove and set aside.
- Add all smoothie ingredients (except crushed cacao nibs) to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a glass, stir in crushed cacao nibs, and enjoy!