Vegan Mango Protein Smoothie
For a simple, tropical, protein-packed treat, give this mighty mango protein smoothie a try! A powerful green smoothie recipe with mango, plant-based protein powder, and an entire head of romaine lettuce. With a bit of prune juice for natural sweetness, you don’t even need any added sugar or sweetener! Nourishing, tasty, and easy enough to whip up with only 6 ingredients.
The Sweet Power of Mango in Smoothies
I love making smoothies with frozen mango because it makes the texture irresistibly thick and creamy, and every sip is loaded with vitamin C. Mango’s tropical flavor also pairs so deliciously with prune juice—you won’t even taste the romaine lettuce! Even the earthy flavor of my pea protein powder completely disappeared into the sweet, tropical goodness of this mango green smoothie.
As with all healthy smoothie recipes, the ingredients here are totally adjustable. Use whatever protein powder you like. Swap out prune juice for a frozen banana to make an extra-creamy mango banana smoothie. If you’re not a fan of romaine lettuce in smoothies, substitute with any leafy greens you prefer. Customize this wholesome mango protein smoothie however you like!
Mango Protein Smoothie Ingredients & Substitutions
- Romaine. Although it’s not quite as nutrient-dense as darker leafy greens like spinach, adding romaine lettuce to smoothies is a great option because you can’t even taste it. And I love watching an entire head of romaine disappear in my blender! For a substitute, try using spinach, baby kale, or arugula instead.
- Frozen Mango. The sweet, tropical flavor of mango ties this whole vegan protein shake together! Feel free to use fresh mango instead of frozen. Or, if you get tired of mango smoothies, substitute for mango with banana or pineapple (fresh or frozen).
- Lemon. The lemon in this recipe isn’t essential, but it does add a nice hint of citrus to brighten up this yummy green smoothie with mango. You’re welcome to omit the lemon, or use orange for a sweeter option instead.
- Cashew Butter. Use any creamy nut butter that you like, or try sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- Prune Juice. A source of natural sweetness, gut-friendly fiber, and tons of nourishing micronutrients! I love the flavor and high fiber content of prune juice smoothies, but you could also use other options like apple, orange, or pear juice to add natural sweetness. Or, swap out the fruit juice for half a banana instead.
- Pea Protein Powder. If you’ve got a favorite or preferred protein powder for smoothies, use that! I used a plain, unsweetened, plant-based powder to keep my mango protein shake vegan, but you can use a flavored variety instead—or even a whey-based protein if you prefer. If you’re not a fan of protein powder, you can skip it. Or, swap out the protein for matcha powder to make an energizing and ultra-green matcha smoothie!
For more recipes like this, check out my Healthy Green Smoothies video!
Vegan Mango Protein Smoothie
- 1 small head romaine, or ½ large, rough chopped
- 1 cup frozen mango
- ¼ lemon, rind and seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp cashew butter
- ½ cup Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Prune Juice
- 1 scoop pea protein powder, or protein powder of choice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a glass and enjoy!