Halloween Mummy Cupcakes
Easy Mummy Cupcakes for Halloween
How to Decorate Mummy Cupcakes with Candy Eyes
These wide-eyed mummy cupcakes are impressively adorable, yet they couldn’t be simpler to make! Use icing to glue large candy eyes onto the cupcakes of your choice, then ‘wrap’ each cupcake in layers of white frosting using a petal piping tip. Perfect for cupcake decorating beginners! Learn how to decorate Halloween mummy cupcakes in around 20 minutes.
I designed these Halloween cupcakes as a last-minute treat that you can throw together in a pinch. Boxed cake mix is the simplest and most convenient option for quick cupcakes, but you can also use your favorite homemade cupcake recipe. Then, all you’ll need are some large candy eyes, white frosting, a decorating bag, and a petal piping tip!
The beauty of these mummy cupcakes is they only require a few steps, and they don’t need to be perfect. In fact, a bit of texture and messiness makes the mummy effect all the more authentic! Whether you’re hosting a party or entertaining kids for some spooky festivities, these easy Halloween cupcakes are worth giving a whirl.
Halloween Mummy Cupcakes Ingredients
- Cupcakes of Choice: You can use any flavor of boxed cake mix that you like, or your favorite homemade cupcake recipe. Personally, I made these mummy cupcakes with a boxed red velvet cake mix! Keep in mind, boxed cake mix will require oil and eggs to prepare.
- White Frosting: This is essential to creating the mummy ‘wrapping’ effect! One tub of frosting should be enough for 24 cupcakes, but it never hurts to have an extra just in case.
- Large Candy Eyes: These Halloween mummy cupcakes really look best with large candy eyes, rather than regular/medium-sized or mini candy eyes.
Cupcake Decorating Equipment
- Cupcake Liners: Don’t forget to bake your cupcakes in cupcake liners to make serving easier and cleaner!
- Decorating Bag: For this particular Halloween cupcake design, a decorating bag is necessary in order to pipe on the frosting for the mummy ‘wrapping.’
- Petal Piping Tip: To create the layered ‘wrap’ effect, I used a petal piping tip #104. If you don’t have this exact tip, look for a similar shape/size of petal piping tip!
How to Make Mummy Cupcakes for Halloween
- Bake boxed cake mix according to package directions (or homemade cupcake recipe). Allow to cool completely before decorating, for at least 1 hour.
- Add candy eyes. Using a dot or smudge of icing as glue, stick large candy eyes onto each cooled cupcake.
- Pipe on frosting for mummy wrapping. Add white frosting into a decorating bag with a petal piping tip (#104). Squeeze frosting onto cupcakes in horizontal stripes—changing the angles, layering the strips on top of one another, and avoiding covering the eyes.
- Serve Halloween mummy cupcakes on a platter and devour!
More Easy Halloween Cupcake Ideas:
- Ghost Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
- Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Mini Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
To see how these mummy cupckes are made, watch my Last-Minute Halloween Cupcakes video!
Halloween Mummy Cupcakes
- 24 cupcakes of choice, (I prepared 1 box red velvet cake mix)
- 1 tub white frosting
- 48 large candy eyes
- Bake cupcakes in cupcake liners, according to package directions. (Or bake homemade cupcakes of choice.) Allow to cool completely.
- Add white frosting into a decorating bag with a wide, flat petal piping tip. (I used Wilton tip #104.)
- Glue large candy eyes onto each cupcake using a dot of icing as glue, or spread icing onto backs of candy eyes so they’ll stick to the cupcake.
- Pipe stripes of white frosting horizontally across the cupcake, creating mummy ‘wrapping’ around the eyes. (It looks nice if you alternate the angles of your lines a bit to make the wrapping look layered!)
- Repeat until all mummy cupcakes are decorated.