Halloween Witch Hat Cupcakes
Easy Halloween Witch Hat Cupcakes
How to Make Halloween Witch Cupcakes with Oreo Hat Toppers
These adorable Halloween witch hat cupcakes look ultra-impressive—and they’re so easy to make! With the help of a basic metal piping tip, you can create these witch cupcakes using any color of frosting you like. Finished with a cute hat topper made from an Oreo cookie and a chocolate kiss, they’re so fun to serve and even more fun to eat!
If you’re new to cupcake decorating or just getting started with a basic set of metal piping tips, these are the perfect easy Halloween cupcakes to try. They look like something out of a gourmet bakery, but you can have them decorated in about half an hour! Keep it extra simple by using boxed cake mix, or use your favorite homemade cupcake recipe, in whatever flavor you enjoy.
Personally, I chose to use 2 different colors of frosting for some variety, but you can stick with just 1, or use as many as you’d like. Simply bake your cupcakes and prep the hat toppers by gluing chocolate kisses to Oreo cookies with a dollop of frosting. Then, pipe a swirl of frosting onto each cupcake, place the hat topper on top, and voila! Irresistibly cute witch hat cupcakes that are sure to impress.
Witch Hat Cupcakes Ingredients
- Cupcakes of Choice: I baked a box of chocolate cake mix to make 24 witch hat cupcakes, but you can use any flavor you like—or use your favorite homemade cupcake recipe! If using boxed cake mix, just remember you’ll also need oil and eggs as listed on the package instructions.
- Oreo Sandwich Cookies: These form the base of your witch hat toppers, and you’ll need to separate the cookies from the crème to get 24 individual cookies.
- Chocolate Kisses: These will be the pointed top of your witch hats, so they’re a must-have! If you want to switch up the flavors, you could use dark chocolate kisses, or even white chocolate hugs.
- Sprinkles: Halloween sprinkles will add some festive flair to your hat toppers, but they’re totally optional so feel free to omit.
- Frosting: I used orange frosting to glue the kisses to the Oreo cookies, and then I alternated between green and purple frosting to decorate the surface of the cupcakes themselves. Of course, you can use whichever colors you prefer, and as many or as few different colors as you’d like. Personally, I recommend using premade frosting in the colors you want, but you could also create colors using white frosting + food coloring.
Cupcake Decorating Equipment
- Cupcake Liners: For easy serving at your Halloween party, bake your witch hat cupcakes in cupcake liners! They can be as simple or as festive as you like.
- Decorating Bags: To bring this cupcake decoration design to life, you’ll need some decorating bags to hold the frosting and pipe it onto the cupcakes. Use a separate decorating bag for each color of frosting you plan to use.
- Metal Piping Tips: These create the unique, clean patterns of frosting that you see on my witch cupcakes—both on the cupcakes themselves and on the hat toppers. I used an open star piping tip #199 for the orange frosting on the hat toppers, and an open star piping tip #1m for the green and purple frosting on the cupcakes themselves. If you don’t have the exact same piping tips, that’s fine—just use a different piping tip with a similar shape!
How to Make Witch Hat Cupcakes for Halloween
- Bake boxed cake mix according to package directions (or homemade cupcake recipe). Allow to cool completely before decorating, for at least 1 hour.
- Make witch hat toppers. Separate Oreo cookies from the crème and unwrap chocolate kisses. Add orange frosting into a decorating bag with an open star piping tip (#199). Pipe a dollop of frosting onto an Oreo cookie, add sprinkles, and press chocolate kiss on top.
- Frost the cupcakes. Add desired frosting color(s) into decorating bag(s) with an open star piping tip (#1m). Pipe frosting onto cupcakes in a spiral pattern, moving from the outside and spiraling inward.
- Add hat toppers. Place a prepared Oreo hat topper on top of the frosting and press gently so it sticks.
- Serve Halloween witch hat cupcakes on a platter and enjoy!
More Easy Halloween Cupcake Ideas:
- Ghost Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
- Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Mummy Cupcakes
- Mini Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
To see how these witch hat cupcakes are made, watch my Last-Minute Halloween Cupcakes video!
Halloween Witch Hat Cupcakes
- 24 cupcakes of choice, (I prepared 1 box chocolate cake mix)
- 12 Oreo sandwich cookies, separated
- 1 tub orange frosting*
- 1 tub purple or green frosting*, (or 1 of each!)
- black & orange sprinkles , (optional)
- 24 chocolate kisses
- *I used premade tubs of orange, purple, and green frosting for ease and convenience. You can also create your own colors at home using white frosting + food coloring.
- Bake cupcakes in cupcake liners, according to package directions. (Or bake homemade cupcakes of choice.) Allow to cool completely.
- Separate Oreo cookies from the crème, so you’ve got 24 individual cookies.
- Add orange frosting into a decorating bag with a metal piping tip. (I used a Wilton open star tip #199. The metal tip is optional here, but I prefer to use it.)
- Pipe a dollop of orange frosting onto the top of an Oreo cookie. Add sprinkles if desired, then press a chocolate kiss on top.
- Repeat to create 24 witch’s hat toppers.
Frosting & Assembly
- Add purple or green frosting into a decorating bag with a metal piping tip. (I used a Wilton open star tip #1m.) Or, use 2 separated ecorating bags if you want to use 2 different colors on your cupcakes.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcake in a spiral pattern, starting from the outside and circling inward to create a dollop.
- Place a prepared Oreo cookie hat topper on top of the frosting, pressing gently so it sticks.
- Repeat to complete remaining witch hat cupcakes.