Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
Spider Web Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
How to Make Halloween Spider Web Cupcakes
Whip up this platter of pull apart spider web cupcakes for an unbelievably simple Halloween party treat! Made with the cupcakes of your choice, frosting, and black decorating gel, it’s an easy yet impressive dessert that guests can pull apart and enjoy. Learn how to make a Halloween pull apart cupcake cake in the shape of a spooky spider web.
Unlike decorating individual cupcakes one by one, these spider web pull apart cupcakes all get decorated at the same time. Simply form your cupcakes into a circle, frost them all together, and you’ve got an impressive Halloween cake that’s already perfectly pre-portioned! As guests come and go to enjoy some, you’ll watch your spooky spider web disappear piece by piece.
Not only are these spider web cupcakes impressive, but they’re also so easy to decorate—great for beginners! You can make your pull apart cupcake cake as small or as large as you’d like, depending on how many cupcakes you want to use. No metal piping tips required, and the decorating bag is optional. Of course, it’s best served with a plastic spider on top for the full, frightening effect!
Halloween Pull Apart Cupcakes Ingredients
- Cupcakes of Choice: I used a combination of funfetti and chocolate cupcakes to make this Halloween cupcake cake, but you can use any flavor(s) that you like. Personally, I used boxed cake mix for convenience, but you can use any homemade cupcake recipe you like instead! If using boxed cake mix, don’t forget the oil and eggs called for on the package instructions.
- Orange Frosting: You can make your spider web cupcakes any color that you like! I went with orange, but colors like green, purple, or even white could work just as well. For me, using premade orange frosting made this process much simpler, but you could also make your own colors using white frosting and food coloring.
- Decorating Gel: To draw on the spooky spider web design, I used black cupcake decorating gel. It’s easy to apply, and it spreads nicely to create the web effect!
Cupcake Decorating Equipment
- Cupcake Liners: Be sure to bake your cupcakes in cupcake liners, so guests can grab a piece of your Halloween pull apart cupcake cake easily.
- Decorating Bag: Using a decorating bag is optional, but it’s a useful tool for distributing the frosting quickly across the entire surface of your pull apart spider web cupcakes.
- Offset Spatula: A regular or large offset spatula makes it easy to spread frosting without nicking the tops of your cupcakes. Either use it in conjunction with your decorating bag, or use to spread on frosting straight from the tub. A spreader knife or butter knife can also work if needed.
- Wooden Skewer: A sturdy wooden skewer or something similar is necessary to drag the black decorating gel from the center, creating the lines across the spider web.
- Plastic Spider: Yes, the plastic spider is an optional addition—but it will give your spider web pull apart cupcakes an extra authentic feel!
How to Make Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
- Bake boxed cake mix according to package directions (or homemade cupcake recipe). Allow to cool completely, for at least 1 hour.
- Arrange cupcakes into a circle shape, making sure the cupcakes are close enough to touch one another.
- Spread orange frosting liberally onto the surface of your Halloween cupcake cake. Option 1: Squeeze frosting from a decorating bag, then spread with an offset spatula. Option 2: Spread frosting straight from the tub using an offset spatula.
- Use black decorating gel to draw a thick black dot in the middle of the cupcake cake, then draw 4-5 concentric circles around it. Using a wooden skewer, drag the gel from the center dot out towards the edges in straight lines, creating the web effect.
- Finish with a plastic spider on top and serve spider web cupcakes for guests to pull apart and enjoy!
More Easy Halloween Cupcake Ideas:
- Ghost Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Mummy Cupcakes
- Mini Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
To see how these spider web cupcakes are made, watch my Last-Minute Halloween Cupcakes video!
Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
- 19 cupcakes of choice , (I used some funfetti + some chocolate)
- 1 tub orange frosting , (or white frosting + food coloring)
- 1 tube black decorating gel, (0.75 oz)
- 19 cupcake liners
- 1 decorating bag
- offset spatula
- wooden skewer
- plastic spider
- Bake cupcakes in cupcake liners, according to package directions. (Or bake homemade cupcakes of choice.) Allow to cool completely.
- On a large tray, arrange cupcakes in a large circle shape.
- Add orange frosting to a decorating bag (no metal tip needed). Cut off the pointed end of the bag so you can squeeze out the frosting.
- Squeeze frosting liberally onto the entire surface of the cupcake circle, starting from the outside and working inward. (Use more frosting than you think you’ll need! The more you use, the easier it will be to spread and cover the surface without nicking the tops of the cupcakes.)
- Use an offset spatula to spread frosting evenly across the cupcakes, covering any gaps. (Don’t worry about making it perfectly smooth—intentionally use your spatula to create some texture.)
- Once cupcakes are fully frosted, use black decorating gel to draw a web onto the frosted cupcakes. I start with a dime-sized dot in the center, then draw 4-5 concentric circles around it. Finally, I use a skewer to drag the black gel from the center dot straight outward to the edges, creating a web effect.
- Add a decorative plastic spider on top for fun!
- Serve, pull apart, and enjoy!