Ghost Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
Halloween Ghost Pull Apart Cupcakes
How to Make a Ghoulish Halloween Cupcake Cake
This adorable ghost pull apart cupcake cake is the perfect sweet treat to serve at a Halloween party! Made of individual cupcakes all frosted together to create a larger cake, it’s a fun dessert that guests can pull apart and enjoy. Simple, spooky, and so quick to throw together! Learn how to make Halloween pull apart cupcakes decorated in a ghoulish ghost shape.
Rather than decorating individual cupcakes, this Halloween cupcake cake lets you frost multiple cupcakes all at once to create one larger design. It has the impressive appearance of a cake, but it’s perfectly pre-portioned! As party guests grab and devour their cupcakes from the platter, watch this sweet ghost disappear.
Best of all, Halloween pull apart cupcakes are so easy to decorate and great for beginners! No metal piping tips required, and you don’t even need to use decorating bags if you don’t have them. Just form cupcakes into a ghost shape, spread frosting on liberally, then draw a ghoulish ghost face with decorating gel. Quick as that, you’ve got a ghost pull apart cupcake cake ready to serve!
Halloween Cupcake Cake Ingredients
- Cupcakes of Choice: I baked a batch of vanilla boxed cake mix into cupcakes because it was the easiest and most convenient option. You can use any flavor cupcake that you like, and you can whip up a batch of homemade cupcakes if preferred! If using boxed cake mix, just remember you’ll also need oil and eggs as listed on the package.
- White Frosting: This is crucial for creating the white background on your ghost pull apart cupcake cake! I recommend buying 2 tubs of frosting to be safe, so you can be generous with the amount of frosting you apply.
- Black Decorating Gel: You can create the ghost’s face however you like, but I find cupcake decorating gel to be the easiest tool to use.
Cupcake Decorating Equipment
- Cupcake Liners: Remember to bake your cupcakes in cupcake liners, so guests can grab a piece of your Halloween pull apart cake easily.
- Decorating Bag: This is optional, but a decorating bag is a helpful tool to distribute the frosting across the entire surface of your ghost pull apart cupcakes.
- Offset Spatula: Use a regular or large offset spatula to spread the frosting across your cupcakes. Either use this in conjunction with a decorating bag, or use it alone to transfer frosting straight from the tub. A spreader knife or butter knife can also work if needed.
How to Make Ghost Pull Apart Cupcakes
- Bake boxed cake mix according to package directions (or homemade cupcake recipe) to prepare 24 cupcakes. Allow to cool completely, for at least 1 hour.
- Arrange cupcakes into a ghost shape, making sure the cupcakes are close enough to touch one another.
- Spread white frosting liberally onto the surface of ghost pull apart cupcake cake. Option 1: Squeeze frosting all over surface of the cake using a decorating bag, then spread with an offset spatula. Option 2: Spread frosting straight from the tub using an offset spatula.
- Use black decorating gel to draw on a spooky ghost’s face.
- Serve Halloween pull apart cupcakes for party guests to grab and enjoy!
More Easy Halloween Cupcake Ideas:
- Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
- Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Mummy Cupcakes
- Mini Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
Watch how to make this ghost pull apart cupcake cake in my Last-Minute Halloween Cupcakes video!
Ghost Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- 24 cupcakes of choice , (I prepared 1 box vanilla cake mix)
- 2 tubs white frosting
- 1 tube black decorating gel, (0.75 oz)
- 24 cupcake liners
- 1 decorating bag
- offset spatula, (or spreading tool)
- Bake cupcakes in cupcake liners, according to package directions. (Or bake homemade cupcakes of choice.) Allow to cool completely.
- On a large tray, arrange cupcakes in a ghost shape, so they’re tightly packed together.
- Add plain white frosting to a decorating bag (no metal tip needed). Cut off the pointed end of the bag so you can squeeze out the frosting. (Or, simply spread frosting straight from the tub using an offset spatula.)
- Squeeze frosting liberally onto the entire surface of the cupcake ghost, starting from the outside and working inward. (Use more frosting than you think you’ll need! The more you use, the easier it will be to spread and cover the surface without nicking the tops of the cupcakes.)
- Use an offset spatula to spread frosting evenly across the cupcakes, covering any gaps to create ghost shape. (Don’t worry about making it perfectly smooth—intentionally use your spatula to create some texture.)
- Once cupcakes are fully frosted, use black decorating gel to draw on the ghost’s eyes and mouth.
- Serve, pull apart, and enjoy!