Mini Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
Mini Ghost Cupcakes for Halloween
How to Make Ghost Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
These mini Halloween ghost cupcakes are fun to decorate and they turn out oh-so-adorable! Simply bake your favorite flavor of mini cupcakes, then top with a poof of marshmallow frosting and add mini chocolate chips as eyes. A great last-minute treat you can whip up before a Halloween party. Learn how to decorate mini ghost cupcakes in around 15 minutes!
For this Halloween cupcake decorating idea, mini cupcakes are the best option. The smaller surface will make it easier to pipe on a poof of frosting that holds its shape. Personally, I used marshmallow frosting because of its thicker and more voluminous texture. And, it adds some festive, sweet flavor that’s perfect for a Halloween party!
You can use any flavor of cupcakes you like, whether it’s a boxed cake mix or a homemade recipe. Just keep in mind, these Halloween ghost cupcakes do require a large round piping tip to create the poofy frosting dollop effect. Add 2 chocolate chips for eyes, and you’ve got devour-able mini ghosts that’ll disappear before your eyes!
Mini Ghost Cupcakes Ingredients
- Cupcakes of Choice: Bake your favorite flavor of boxed cake mix or a homemade recipe into mini muffin tins. I used boxed red velvet cake mix which paired nicely with the marshmallow frosting, but any flavor can work here! Just remember, boxed cake mix will also require oil and eggs as listed on the package instructions.
- Marshmallow Frosting: I haven’t personally tried this recipe using anything other than marshmallow frosting, so I recommend sticking with it. Marshmallow frosting has a thicker, more voluminous texture that makes this poofy ghost effect possible.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: These are the perfect size to use as eyes on your mini Halloween ghost cupcakes! Be careful and patient inserting these into your poof of frosting—it can be finnicky, but it’s doable.
Cupcake Decorating Equipment
- Mini Cupcake Liners: Remember to bake your mini ghost cupcakes in mini cupcake liners for easier serving and presentation.
- Decorating Bag: You’ll need 1 decorating bag to hold and pipe your marshmallow frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Round Metal Icing Tip: I created the ghostly poof on these mini cupcakes using a large round piping tip #2A. If you don’t have the exact same piping tip, try using a different one that’s still similar in size/shape.
How to Make Ghost Cupcakes for Halloween
- Bake boxed cake mix into mini cupcake tin according to package directions (or homemade cupcake recipe). Allow to cool completely before decorating, for at least 1 hour.
- Pipe on marshmallow frosting. Add marshmallow frosting into a decorating bag with a large round piping tip (#2A). Squeeze frosting onto cooled cupcakes in a rising spiral pattern, creating little ghostly poofs.
- Add chocolate chips. Carefully and gently press mini chocolate chips into the frosting, side-by-side, to create your ghost’s eyes.
- Serve mini ghost cupcakes on a platter and devour!
More Easy Halloween Cupcake Ideas:
- Ghost Pull Apart Cupcake Cake
- Pull Apart Spider Web Cupcakes
- Witch Hat Cupcakes
- Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Mummy Cupcakes
To see how these mini ghost cupcakes are made, watch my Last-Minute Halloween Cupcakes video!
Mini Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
- 48 mini cupcakes of choice , (I prepared 1 box red velvet cake mix)
- 1 tub marshmallow frosting
- 2-3 Tbsp mini chocolate chips, (96 chips)
- 48 mini cupcake liners
- 1 decorating bag
- round metal icing tip #2A
- Bake cupcakes in mini cupcake liners, according to package directions. (Or bake homemade cupcakes of choice.) Allow to cool completely.
- Add marshmallow frosting to a decorating bag with a round icing tip. (I used Wilton tip #2A.)
- Squeeze frosting onto each mini cupcake in a rising spiral motion, making a small poofy mound.
- Place 2 chocolate chips as ghost eyes at the top of each frosting mound.
- Repeat to decorate remaining mini ghost cupcakes.