Easy Breakfast Tacos Recipe
Healthy Breakfast Tacos Recipe – 2 Ways
How to Make Breakfast Tacos with Eggs & Sausage or Bacon
This breakfast tacos recipe is the best way to start (or finish) any day! Satisfyingly savory breakfast meat, ultra-creamy and fluffy scrambled eggs, comforting skillet potatoes—all served in your choice of tortillas with a sprinkle of cheese and a dash of hot sauce. I’ll show you how to make breakfast tacos 2 ways, with loads of possible variations to suit your tastes.
We already eat eggs, sausage, and potatoes with toast, so why not in taco shells? Personally, I love breakfast for dinner, and this breakfast tacos recipe is a go-to option for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great as a breakfast, too! But, if you don’t have 30 or so minutes available in the morning, this makes for a fantastically quick and satisfying weeknight dinner.
Not only is this breakfast tacos recipe a simple and satiating meal, but it’s also super versatile and everything is hand-held. Perfect for a DIY buffet-style dinner for families or if you’re feeding a crowd! Just prep everything in bulk, and then let everyone assemble their own tacos however they like. (A solid option for picky eaters, too!)
As always, my 3 most important things with any meal are: delicious, nutritious, and convenient. I like to have a balance of these 3 factors, and this breakfast tacos recipe hits the mark. When we enjoy our food and have fun with it, we bring joy to the experience! Let’s dive into how to make breakfast tacos your way, and bring some joy to your kitchen table.
Butcher Box Breakfast Meats
I was first introduced to ground breakfast sausage from Butcher Box—and now it’s become my go-to source for all of my meats! All of Butcher Box’s meat is humanely raised, free of antibiotics and added hormones, and it’s conveniently delivered frozen right to my door. Plus, I love that I can adjust my delivery frequency as often as I need and don’t have to stress about shopping for quality meat!
Butcher Box is always offering new deals—just use this link to sign up.
Breakfast Tacos Recipe Components
- breakfast meat of choice (ground sausage or crumbled bacon)
- scrambled eggs
- skillet potatoes & onions
- small tortillas of choice (I used soft flour)
- cheddar cheese
- drizzle of cholula or hot sauce
- Breakfast Meat: Personally, I like to make this breakfast tacos recipe with a bit of ground breakfast sausage or crumbled bacon—or both! I don’t need much meat since these tacos also have scrambled eggs, but add whatever and however much meat suits your tastes. Or, nix the meats altogether and keep the meal vegetarian (and even simpler)!
- Scrambled Eggs: Alternatively, if you’re not a fan of eggs, there are plenty of options for how to make breakfast tacos without them! Skip the eggs and go with breakfast meat alone, or try a vegan option and use a plant-based scrambled egg substitute.
- Skillet Potatoes: Similar to home fries, the skillet potatoes add a nice comforting, breakfast element into the mix! But, you’re welcome to omit them altogether, or get creative replacing them. (Tiny tater tots, anyone?)
- Tortillas: I absolutely love a soft flour tortilla with this breakfast tacos recipe and they hold up well with all of the fillings here. But, of course, feel free to use whichever variety you like. Soft corn tortillas, egg wraps for a low-carb option, or even hard corn tortillas if you’re feeling adventurous!
- Toppings: Cheese is a must on these tacos for me, but you’re welcome to swap out the cheddar or leave it off altogether. Same goes for the chives and cholula! Remember, the idea is to bring some joy to your kitchen. Make this breakfast tacos recipe as delicious as possible for your taste buds!
How to Make Breakfast Tacos
Besides their satisfying deliciousness, my favorite thing about breakfast tacos is how EASY they are to make. First, I cook my breakfast meat: either ground pork sausage or crumbled bacon (and sometimes both). Since my tacos also have scrambled eggs, I personally don’t need much additional meat—just 1 ounce or 1 slice per taco. You do you! Or, if I’ve meal prepped some ground breakfast sausage ahead of time, I can just heat that up to use at the time of eating.
Next, I like to save that sausage or bacon fat and use it to cook my skillet potatoes! Simply heat the sausage/bacon fat, saute a bit of chopped onion, and then add in the diced potatoes. Using sausage/bacon fat, you may not even need to season because of the salt and flavor already in your pan! Let the potatoes cook for 6-10 minutes, until tender and browned.
Finally, I prepare the scrambled eggs. For added creaminess and fluffiness, try whisking in a bit of mayo with your eggs. You only need about 1 Tbsp per egg but, oh man, it’s worth it! Scramble to your liking and, once they’re ready, you can assemble all of your breakfast tacos recipe components.
Layer your potatoes, breakfast meat, and scrambled egg into your chosen tortilla, then add your favorite toppings. Cheese, chives, and cholula are my go-to choices for breakfast tacos, but I encourage you to jazz up the recipe with whatever you like!
For more fun taco night ideas, check out the full video: Easy TACOS 6 Ways!
Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- 4-8 oz breakfast sausage, cooked & crumbled
- 4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- Cook ground breakfast sausage and/or bacon slices as desired. Remove from pan and set meat aside. (Save sausage or bacon fat and use it to cook your potatoes!)
- In the same pan, heat sausage/bacon fat and saute onion until tender. (Keep in mind, this fat will add flavor + salt to your potatoes!)
- Add diced potato and season to taste, if needed. Cook for 6-10 minutes, until tender and browned. (Cook time will depend on the size of potato pieces. Cover pan to help potatoes soften, if desired.)
- Separately, heat a pan over medium heat. Whisk together eggs and mayonnaise. Pour eggs into pan and scramble to your liking.
- Once components are prepared, assemble breakfast tacos as desired! I like to put my potatoes into the tortillas first, followed by the eggs, sausage and/or crumbled bacon, cheese, chives, and cholula. Serve and enjoy!
- Optional: serve in taco stand for fun presentation flair!
- Yields 4 tacos.
357 calories | 24g fat | 22g carbs | 2g fiber | 2g sugars | 15g protein Nutrition below provided per 1 breakfast taco with sausage.
How to Meal Prep for Your Lifestyle
Enroll in my Mind Over Meal Prep course to learn the basics of efficient-yet-easy meal prepping, in a way that works for your individual schedule and needs.