Whole30 & Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes | Whole30 Breakfast
Whole30 Stuffed Sweet Potato Breakfast with Bacon, Sausage & Veggies
These Whole30 & paleo stuffed sweet potatoes make for a satisfying and EASY meal prep breakfast. Simply roast sweet potatoes and cook your Whole30 breakfast filling on prep day, then assemble when you’re ready to eat!
Salty bacon and savory sausage, cooked with wholesome veggies and greens, all served in roasted sweet potatoes. Personally, I think these paleo stuffed sweet potatoes are just begging for a yolk egg on top! But, this is also a great option for a Whole30 breakfast WITHOUT eggs.
Not just a healthy and crave-ably tasty breakfast, but also a truly satisfying and fuel-filled breakfast. Each breakfast Whole30 stuffed sweet potato has a delicious balance of protein, complex carbs, and wholesome fats.
A hearty, salty-sweet breakfast that’s Whole30 approved, and too simple to pass up!
How to Prepare Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
A Whole30 stuffed sweet potato is a fantastic option for any meal—breakfast, lunch or dinner. The components are incredibly simple to prepare, perfect for making ahead of time, and so versatile!
For this paleo stuffed sweet potatoes recipe, I’ll show you how to roast sweet potatoes and cook your filling on prep day. That way, you can just combine and reheat the components for an easy Whole30 breakfast in the morning when you’re ready to eat!
But, just know that this is only one of many Whole30 stuffed sweet potato possibilities. You could try breakfast stuffed sweet potatoes with scrambled eggs and sliced avocado, or almond butter and berries—really any ingredients that you like. Or, you could even switch up the vessel and try stuffed russet potatoes, or even stuffed acorn squash!
Roast Sweet Potatoes until Tender
First, roast sweet potatoes in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for 45 minutes to an hour. You want them nice and tender for stuffing, and roasting results on a caramelized, natural sweeter potato!
To do this, I recommend poking holes all around the outside of each sweet potato so steam can release in the oven. Then, wrap each individual potato with foil and place them on a baking sheet. And that’s it—they’re ready to roast!
Cook Whole30 Stuffed Sweet Potato Filling
For Whole30 meal prep purposes, it’s best to get your sweet potatoes roasting early, near the beginning of your prep day. Just be sure to set a timer for 45 minutes and check on them to see how they’re doing! This way, you can continue with your filling and any other prep work while they’re in the oven.
Chop & Cook Bacon
To make your filling, start by chopping your bacon into small-ish pieces. Keep in mind that they’ll shrink a bit as they cook! Also, to keep this a true Whole30 stuffed sweet potato recipe, make sure to use a Whole30 compliant bacon. (No sugar, nitrates or nitrites!)
Then, add the chopped bacon into a large pan and cook through. Once it’s cooked to your liking, scoop the bacon out of the pan and set aside in the bowl.
Next, you can remove some of the fat from the pan if you like, but leave enough to use as your cooking fat for the rest of the filling!
Cook Veggies & Breakfast Sausage
Into the same pan that you cooked your bacon, add onions and saute for a few minutes, followed by bell pepper. Once those veggies are tender, add in the Whole30 breakfast sausage of your choice. Again, make sure to find a breakfast sausage that’s clean and Whole30 friendly, with no added sugars!
Break up the ground meat into larger chunks and allow to sear, then gradually break up the meat until cooked through. Once cooked, season to taste as desired. Be sure to check the ingredients on your breakfast sausage—many come pre-seasoned with salt, pepper, or other flavorings!
Last but not least, add a generous helping of spinach to the pan and let that wilt down. Then, you can add back in the cooked bacon, stir, and the filling for your paleo stuffed sweet potatoes is ready to go.
Store Components Separately for Whole30 Meal Prep
Once the sweet potatoes are roasted and the filling has been cooked, allow your components to cool before storing. For meal prep, it’s best to store the roasted sweet potatoes separately from the filling, otherwise everything may get soggy.
Then, in the mornings when you’re ready to eat, simply slice a roasted sweet potato lengthwise and stuff it with your savory breakfast mixture. Reheat as desired—in the microwave or in the oven—and enjoy!
Hard to beat a morning meal that you can have ready in just minutes. A clean, savory, satisfying Whole30 breakfast that you’ll want to enjoy again and again!
VIDEO: Whole30 Meal Prep for the Week
Whole30 & Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 5 sweet potatoes
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage, or any ground sausage that’s Whole30 approved!
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 cups spinach
- optional: salt & pepper, if needed, depending on whether your sausage is seasoned or not
To prepare roasted sweet potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Poke holes around the outside of sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap each potato individually in foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 minutes – 1 hour or longer, until fork tender.
- Store potatoes separately from filling for meal prep.
To prepare filling:
- Add chopped bacon to a pan and cook through.
- Once cooked, scoop bacon out of pan and transfer to a bowl. Leave some fat in the pan to cook the rest of filling.
- Add onions to pan and saute for 3-5 minutes. Once tender, add chopped bell pepper and allow to soften slightly.
- Add ground breakfast sausage to pan and cook through. Season with garlic powder and onion powder. (Season to taste with salt and pepper, if your ground sausage isn’t already seasoned.)
- Add spinach to pan and allow to wilt down. Once wilted, add cooked bacon back in and stir to integrate.
- Store filling separately from potatoes for meal prep.
- When ready to eat, slice roasted sweet potato and fill with sausage, bacon & veggie mixture. Reheat in the microwave or oven and enjoy!
- Roasted sweet potato stuffed with scrambled eggs, bacon and sliced avocado
- Sweet potato stuffed with almond butter & fresh berries
- Stuffed sweet potato with sauteed spinach and a fried egg
2 Comments on “Whole30 & Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes | Whole30 Breakfast”
Flavorful and delicious!
Thank you, Rosalie! We’re so happy to hear you’re a fan of these whole30 stuffed sweet potatoes 🙂 thanks so much for trying & rating the recipe!