Breadless Keto Breakfast Sandwich
Low Carb & Keto Breakfast Sandwich with Sausage Patty ‘Buns’
Take your low carb breakfast sandwich to the next level by ditching the bread altogether! The ULTIMATE keto breakfast sandwich recipe with egg, cheese and avocado served between sausage patty sandwich ‘buns.’
Sausage egg and cheese is already a breakfast classic, so why not make it into a totally breadless breakfast sandwich with only 2g net carbs? Warm, savory, satisfying, and a meat lover’s dream!
If you’ve ever had a sausage patty on a breakfast sandwich, you know how delicious they are. Personally, breakfast sausage is my all-time favorite breakfast meat! And this keto breakfast sandwich lets you enjoy TWO of those patties as your bread substitute. Plus, you’ll be amazed by how well they hold together—I was able to thoroughly enjoy this sandwich as finger food!
I like to serve my sausage patties with a cheesy scrambled egg patty and some avocado, but you could also go with a fried egg instead, or any sandwich fillings you like. You could even add some bacon if you wanted your low carb breakfast sandwich to be EXTRA meaty! Here’s how to make my basic keto breakfast sandwich and sausage patties—feel free to customize.
(Or, if you’re craving some kind of low carb bread instead, check out my microwave keto BISCUIT breakfast sandwich recipe!)
Keto Breakfast Sausage Sandwich ‘Buns’
1 lb ground breakfast sausage
¼ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp oregano
1 Tbsp parsley, minced
How to Make Sausage Patties for Sandwiches
First, start by making the sausage patties for your keto breakfast sandwich ‘bun’ alternative. Simply mix a pound of ground breakfast sausage meat with some tasty herbs, then roll the meat out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. (You may want to roll it out in 2 batches.) Yes, this is a strange process and also fascinating if you’ve never tried it before… Just wash your hands before and after!
Roll the meat out with a rolling pin so it’s about ¼-inch thick or less, then remove one sheet of plastic so you can cut your patty shapes. I use a 4-inch circular biscuit cutter and have been able to get 10-12 patties per pound of meat, depending how thick I roll it out. Keep in mind, your sausage patties will shrink a bit after cooking! Transfer cut patties to a plate and you’re ready to start cooking.
To a hot pan or griddle over medium-high heat, add some oil, and then add 1-2 patties at a time, cooking for about 2 minutes on each side. You want them to be brown and no longer pink when they’re done, and I recommend flattening the patties with your spatula as they cook so the edges don’t curl too much!
Once cooked, remove patties from the heat and set aside for your keto breakfast sandwich assembly, or save and store for future use. You can cook a full batch of 10-12 patties, and then save leftovers for breakfast sandwiches another day. Or, split your ground sausage mixture in half—forming one half into patties and cooking, and storing the other half raw to prepare at another time.
Keto Breakfast Sandwich Ingredients
2 ground breakfast sausage patties (see above)
1 egg, scrambled into egg patty
1 slice cheddar cheese
½ avocado, sliced
dash of sriracha
How to Make Keto Breakfast Sandwich with Egg & Cheese
With your breakfast sausage patties cooked, your low carb breakfast sandwich is ready to assemble! For my egg, cheese and avocado combo, either prep a fried egg to your liking or whip up a scrambled egg patty. Here’s an easy hack for a perfectly round egg patty that’ll fit on your keto breakfast sandwich nicely:
Spray a pan with cooking spray (or use the pan with reserved sausage fat from cooking your patties), and also spray the outer band of a wide-mouth mason jar lid. Whisk 2 eggs in a measuring cup, then place the sprayed lid upside down in the pan so it forms a well and pour the whisked eggs into it. Cover the pan and let the egg patty cook until beginning to set. Then flip the patty over and carefully remove that mason jar lid.
For those who want cheese, add a slice now while your flipped egg patty is warm! Place the lid back over the pan to help the cheese melt, if desired. Finally, remove egg patty from the pan, transfer onto one of your sausage patties, and load up any additional low carb breakfast sandwich fillings that you like! For me, all I need is some sliced avocado and a dash of sriracha, and my dreamy, meaty breakfast is complete.
KETO Breakfast Sandwich Recipes
Keto Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
- Combine ground meat with spices and mix well to integrate.
- Roll out meat between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, until about ¼-inch thick or less.
- Use a cookie cutter or round glass to cut out circular patties. (I used a 4-inch circular biscuit cutter. For 1 lb of meat, you’ll be able to make ~10-12 patties.)
- Transfer cut patties to a plate or cutting board and prepare to cook.
- Heat a bit of oil in a pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 patties and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until brown and no longer pink, flattening with spatula as you cook.
- Transfer cooked patties to a plate to cool before assembling keto breakfast sandwich as desired.
- To store leftovers, place cooked and cooled sausage patties into an airtight container and store in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- 1 lb ground sausage yields 12 patties.
Breadless Keto Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 ground breakfast sausage patties, cooked (see above)
- 1 egg, scrambled into egg patty
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- ½ avocado, sliced
- dash of sriracha
- Prepare or reheat ground breakfast sausage patties. (See above)
- To prepare scrambled egg patty, whisk eggs in a measuring cup. Spray a pan with cooking spray, as well as the outer band of wide-mouth mason jar lid. Place lid upside-down in pan and pour in whisked egg. Cover pan and allow egg to set, then flip and carefully remove mason jar lid. (Use another spatula to help if needed!)
- Place cheese slice on top of warm egg patty, cover pan, and allow to melt.
- Assemble breakfast sandwich with sausage patties, egg, cheese, avocado, and a dash of sriracha. (Or whichever toppings you like!)
2 Comments on “Breadless Keto Breakfast Sandwich”
Even without the bread it tastes really great!
Yes those sausage patties are so satisfying! So glad you enjoy this breadless keto breakfast sandwich 🙂