Homemade Pizza Rolls in the Air Fryer
Whip up a batch of crispy, cheesy homemade air fryer pizza rolls with only 5 ingredients! Just wrap pizza fillings in wonton wrappers, then air fry to perfection in minutes. An easy air fryer appetizer or snack that’s less-processed & even more flavorful than Totino’s.
Wonton wrapper pizza rolls were actually one of the very first recipes I shared on Mind Over Munch, and they’re even better air fried than they were baked. Cooking pizza rolls in the air fryer is the best way to get a crispy, crunchy texture, and it’s so quick & easy. Just pop these homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer for 7 minutes, and they’re ready to devour!
Totino’s vs. Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Rather than trying to make an exact Totino’s copycat, I designed these DIY pizza rolls to be doable & delicious.
- Instead of a fluffy, doughy crust like Totino’s, these pizza rolls have an extra-crispy wonton coating that’s so fun to eat.
- Wonton wrappers also make assembly much easier, so there’s no dough you have to roll out & cut.
- Since you get to choose the ingredients, you can make homemade pizza rolls with far fewer additives & preservatives than Totino’s.
- And I think this homemade filling tastes even more flavorful than Totino’s because it’s made with less-processed, real-food ingredients. (Like freshly shredded mozzarella, instead of the imitation mozzarella in Totino’s.)
- Making pizza rolls from scratch also lets you customize the filling however you’d like—whether you want pepperoni pizza rolls, cheese, or even veggie!
Homemade Pizza Rolls Ingredients
- Pizza Sauce. Use your favorite! I used a classic jarred pizza sauce in these air fryer pizza rolls, but I also love tomato basil sauce.
- Pepperoni Slices. Use cured pepperoni for classic pepperoni pizza flavor, or try uncured pepperoni for a fancier option! You could also make pizza rolls with Italian sausage or ground beef instead, or skip the meat altogether for plain cheese pizza rolls.
- Seasoning. Dried oregano is my go-to for pizza-licious flavor, or you can use Italian seasoning. This is optional, but can add major flavor!
- Mozzarella Cheese. For the best, gooiest, meltiest homemade pizza rolls, I recommend using freshly shredded mozzarella cheese. You can certainly use pre-shredded mozzarella in this recipe, but it often doesn’t melt as well as mozzarella shredded from the block.
- Other Toppings. Feel free to add any other favorite pizza toppings into your filling mixture! If you want to make pizza rolls with vegetables like mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, etc., it’s best to saute the veggies until tender before stirring them into the filling.
- Wonton Wrappers. These are very easy to work with, and I love how they coat my air fryer pizza rolls in crispy, golden-brown goodness! Wonton wrappers are sold as pre-cut dough squares made of flour, water, & cornstarch, ready to use straight out of the package. If you need a substitute, try egg roll wrappers instead.
Wonton Wrappers vs. Egg Roll Wrappers
Wonton wrappers are smaller in size & have a lighter texture, so they’re perfect for crispy, bite-sized appetizers like pizza rolls or air fryer crab Rangoon. Egg roll wrappers are made with eggs (instead of cornstarch), so they have a crispier, chewier texture that’s irresistible on air fryer egg rolls.
Both work really well in air fryer recipes—but egg roll wrappers are larger in size than wonton, so you’d need to cut them into smaller squares (~3-inch or 7.5cm) to make pizza rolls. If you can’t find wonton wrappers, or if you want an even crispier texture, try making your pizza rolls with egg roll wrappers instead!
How to Make Homemade Pizza Rolls from Scratch
First, set up a clean, flat work surface where you can assemble your pizza rolls, with a small dish of water you’ll use to seal the wonton wrappers. Then, you’re ready to start rolling!
1 Make the Filling
In a bowl, mix together pizza sauce, diced pepperoni (optional), and oregano or Italian seasoning. Make sure the pepperoni is chopped into small pieces to fit inside your pizza rolls!
2 Fill Wonton Wrapper
Place one wonton wrapper flat on your work surface, keeping the rest covered with a damp cloth so they don’t dry out. Scoop 1½-2 teaspoons of the sauce mixture onto the center of the wrapper, then add a teaspoon of freshly shredded mozzarella on top.
3 Wet the Edges of the Wrapper
Dip a finger in your dish of water, then trace all 4 edges of the wonton wrapper so they’re visibly wet. The water will help seal the wrapper together.
4 Fold & Seal
Folding in thirds, fold one edge of the wrapper over the filling, then fold over the opposite edge. Seal the seam well with more water to prevent pizza rolls from exploding in the air fryer. Finally, fold in each end & crimp with a fork to seal. Keep completed pizza rolls covered with a damp cloth while you continue assembly.
5 Prepare Air Fryer
Let your air fryer preheat to 380°F (195°C). Once preheated, place 8-10 homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer basket and lightly spray the tops with cooking spray. (This will make them perfectly golden-brown & crispy!)
6 Air Fry Until Crispy
Air fry pizza rolls for 7 minutes, then check every 1-2 minutes, until crispy & golden brown. (Monitor so they don’t burn!) Since the air fryer basket is perforated, there’s no need to flip halfway unless you want to. While you cook the remaining batches, you can loosely wrap your air fried pizza rolls in foil and keep them warm in the oven on low heat.
Can I bake my pizza rolls instead of air fry?
Absolutely! For oven baked pizza rolls, assemble them the same way, then bake in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway.
How to Store & Freeze Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Fridge Storage: If you have leftover air fried pizza rolls, let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge. Just reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes to get them crispy again.
- Freezer: It’s best to freeze these wonton wrapper pizza rolls before cooking them. Just place them on a baking sheet & freeze for a few hours, then transfer to a freezer-safe container & store in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can pop your frozen pizza rolls straight into the air fryer to cook—they’ll just need a few extra minutes to get crispy.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
For a fun & crispy game-day spread, you can pair these pizza rolls with favorites like air fryer chicken taquitos, garlic parmesan wings, or air fryer French fries. Or serve your handmade pizza rolls with other easy appetizers like air fryer stuffed mushrooms & crab Rangoon for a more elegant hors d’oeuvres feel!
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 oz pepperoni slices, diced (~½ cup) [optional]
- ½ tsp dried oregano, or Italian seasoning
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded (1 cup)
- 36 wonton wrappers
How to Assemble Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Set up a clean, flat work surface & fill a small dish with water (to seal the wonton wrappers).
- In a bowl, combine pizza sauce, diced pepperoni, and seasoning.
- Lay one wonton wrapper flat on your work surface. (Keep the rest covered with a damp cloth so they don’t dry out).
- Place 1½-2 tsp sauce mixture in the center of the wrapper & top with 1 tsp mozzarella cheese.
- Using a finger, coat all 4 edges of wonton wrapper with water.
- Fold over one edge to cover the filling, then fold over the opposite edge. (Essentially folding the wrapper in thirds.) Seal the seam with additional water.
- Finally fold up both ends of the pizza roll and crimp with a fork to seal.
- Repeat until all pizza rolls are assembled. Keep completed pizza rolls covered with a damp cloth until you’re ready to air fry so they don’t dry out.
How to Air Fry Pizza Rolls
- Preheat air fryer to 380°F (195°C).
- Once preheated, place 8-10 homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer. (Don’t overcrowd.) Spray tops with cooking spray to help them brown & crisp up.
- Air fry pizza rolls for 7 minutes, checking every 1-2 minutes near the end until browned & crispy to your liking. (No need to flip halfway unless you want to, but monitor at the end because they’ll burn fast!)
- Repeat until all batches are cooked. You can keep air fried pizza rolls in the oven on low heat to keep them warm while the rest cook.
- Serve warm & enjoy!