Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cream Cheese & Mozzarella
This buffalo chicken egg rolls air fryer recipe is bursting with crispy, zesty, cheesy goodness! Shredded chicken, cream cheese, mozzarella, buffalo sauce—all wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and air fried. Honestly, they taste like a hand-held, deep-fried buffalo chicken dip! (Without any deep-frying!) Learn how to make buffalo chicken egg rolls in an air fryer in just 12 minutes.
If you’re a fan of a creamy buffalo chicken dip, these homemade egg rolls are a must-try. Every bite is rich, meaty, and literally oozing with warm cream cheese. Plus, you can’t beat the crispy crunch of sinking your teeth into an air fryer egg roll! I’ve eaten my fair share of deep-fried restaurant egg rolls, and I was impressed by how satisfying these air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls turned out.
Best of all, this is a super fun appetizer or snack that’s genuinely easy to make. Just prepare your buffalo chicken mixture, wrap into egg roll wrappers, and toss into the air fryer. A great recipe for beginners—no experience needed, and no pot of oil needed! Learn how to make buffalo chicken egg rolls in the air fryer for the perfect game day or party snack.
What is buffalo chicken dip?
Buffalo chicken dip is almost like an ultra-rich, thick, and creamy cheese dip with a zesty kick of buffalo sauce. It’s typically made with cream cheese, shredded cheese, and plenty of shredded chicken. (Check out my Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip and Chicken Bacon Cheddar Dip for some dip-spiration.) Now, instead of enjoying this classic dip with chips, try it air fried into crispy buffalo chicken egg rolls!
Can you air fry egg rolls?
Yes, you can air fry egg rolls and it’s way easier than deep frying! Instead of heating a pot of oil, the air fryer circulates hot air through its perforations for maximum crispiness. Cooking these buffalo chicken egg rolls in the air fryer, they poof up to an irresistible crisp—with a warm, gooey, cheesy center! (For more ideas, check out my Air Fryer Pork Egg Rolls and Cheeseburger Egg Rolls!)
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls Ingredients
- Cream Cheese. After cooking, the cream cheese gives these air fryer egg rolls a molten, cheesy center! I haven’t made this recipe with any substitutes, but you are welcome to experiment with a dairy free cream cheese variety if needed.
- Mozzarella Cheese. I like to make these buffalo chicken egg rolls with mozzarella because of its comforting flavor and soft, gooey texture when melted! Of course, you can use cheddar cheese instead or whatever variety you love. I don’t recommend a dairy free cheese here since it’s unlikely to melt well, but feel free to try it out.
- Shredded Chicken. Using chicken thighs or chicken breast, you can make shredded chicken using my quick poaching method (20 mins), or whatever method you prefer. You can also find pre-cooked and shredded chicken in many grocery stores if desired.
- Buffalo Sauce. An essential ingredient to give these buffalo chicken egg rolls their classic zesty flavor! If you want an alternative to buffalo, you could use a different hot sauce or even try BBQ sauce.
- Green Onions. This is a classic, refreshing addition to buffalo chicken dip. I love the flavor it adds, but feel free to omit it.
- Egg Roll Wrappers. These convenient pre-made wrappers are refrigerated and available in most grocery stores. There are several different brands out there—the ones I used are called Dynasty Egg Roll Wrappers, and they were very sturdy and reliable. Unfortunately, I personally haven’t seen any gluten free wrapper options.
- Egg. Brush your air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls with egg wash to seal them! This is the ideal sealing ingredient for me, and it literally puts the “egg” in these egg rolls. If you need another option, you can try brushing on oil, or a mixture of cornstarch and water.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
First, start by preparing shredded chicken if needed. (This is my preferred method for how to shred chicken.) Once cooled, combine the chicken with the other filling ingredients. All that’s left to do is wrap up your buffalo chicken egg rolls, seal with egg wash, and they’re ready to cook! Preheat air fryer to 380°F (195°C) for 10-12 minutes and enjoy while warm.
How do you wrap egg rolls and keep them from falling apart?
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean, flat surface, positioned in a diamond shape.
- Add ~3 Tbsp of buffalo chicken dip filling near the top corner. Then, fold that top corner over the filling and press the sides of the fold down tightly.
- Fold each of the side corners inward, keeping the mixture tightly contained. Use fingers to roll tightly into a cigar shape, down towards the bottom corner.
- With a few inches of wrapper remaining, stop rolling and brush the remaining wrapper with egg wash. Finish the roll, sealing the outer edge with additional egg wash.
How to Cook Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
Can you use cooking spray in the air fryer?
Yes, you can use some types of cooking spray in an air fryer. The best options are propellant-free cooking spray or an oil mister that you fill yourself. I use a 100% avocado oil spray, and it works great for this buffalo chicken egg rolls air fryer recipe! But, beware of standard aerosol cooking sprays like PAM—these contain harsh propellants that can damage the coating of your air fryer basket.
How do you make air fryer egg rolls crispy?
If you want your air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls to be maximally crispy, cook in small batches and add a bit of oil. A small batch of 6 or so egg rolls will crisp up best, because the heat has more room to circulate around them. Spray some propellant-free cooking spray (or brush some oil) on top before cooking them, and they’ll turn out extra crispy and golden brown!
How Long to Air Fry Egg Rolls
After testing several recipes, my recommended air fryer egg rolls time and temp is 10-12 minutes at 380°F (195°C). You don’t even need to flip them! Still, it’s a good idea to check your buffalo chicken egg rolls in the last 1-2 minutes to see how browned they are. Get ready: these beauties will be hot and oozing after cooking, so let them cool slightly. Best devoured warm with ranch or blue cheese!
Can I reheat egg rolls in the air fryer?
In most cases, yes, you can reheat egg rolls in the air fryer (whether they’re homemade, from a restaurant, or frozen). However, with all of the creamy cheesiness in these air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls, they won’t keep very well. Thankfully this recipe makes a smaller batch (8-10 egg rolls), so I recommend enjoying them on the same day that you make them!
More Air Fryer Appetizer Ideas:
- Air Fryer Pork Egg Rolls
- Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Stuffed Mushrooms in Air Fryer
- Keto Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Watch how to make buffalo chicken egg rolls in the air fryer in my Air Fryer Egg Rolls video!
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs, or breasts
- salt & pepper
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3 Tbsp buffalo sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 8-10 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten, (for sealing)
- ranch dressing
- blue cheese dressing
- Make shredded chicken using whatever method you prefer, or buy pre-cooked shredded chicken.
- The simplest method: Season the chicken cuts, add to a deep pot, and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cuts.
- Remove from pot when chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F (75°C).
- Shred chicken using 2 forks or with a hand mixer.
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
- In a large bowl, combine softened cream cheese, mozzarella, cooled shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and green onion. Mix well to combine.
- Preheat air fryer to 380°F (195°C).
- Place one egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape on a clean, flat surface. (Keep unused wrappers covered with a damp towel to prevent drying out.)
- Spoon about 3 Tbsp buffalo chicken filling onto egg roll wrapper, near the top corner.
- Fold top corner over the mixture, pressing the sides of the fold down to make the seal stronger.
- Fold in both side corners, keeping the folds tight.
- Then, begin to roll down towards the bottom corner, forming a cigar shape and keeping the mixture tightly contained.
- Before completing the roll, brush remainder of wrapper with beaten egg to seal. (Like sealing an envelope flap.)
- Transfer sealed egg roll to a plate and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- Repeat to assemble all buffalo chicken egg rolls. (Yields ~8-10.)
- Spray down basket of preheated air fryer with cooking spray. Place 6-8 egg rolls into basket. (Air fryer egg rolls are best cooked in batches, with space between them.)
- Spray tops of rolls with cooking spray (or brush with oil) to help them crisp up and brown.
- Cook 10-12 minutes (no need to flip), until brown and crispy.
- Serve warm with ranch, blue cheese dressing, or your favorite dipping sauce!