Air Fryer Quesadilla Recipe
Air Fryer Cheese Quesadilla Recipe
Try this crispy air fryer quesadilla recipe for a quick, satisfying snack that’s ready in 5 minutes! Just brush down your tortilla with butter or oil, fill with cheese, and air fry. Quick as that, you’ve got a comforting, melty meal ready to devour! Learn how to make a quesadilla in the air fryer with your favorite fillings.
Truthfully, I love a classic stovetop quesadilla, but I wanted to see how an air fryer cheese quesadilla would compare. Taste-wise, I find that stovetop quesadillas are meltier, chewier, and more golden brown, whereas a quesadilla in the air fryer turns out a bit crispier and flakier. In practice, both methods are equally quick and easy—so do whichever you prefer!
I’ll admit, the air fryer does have some added conveniences. You can generally cook 2 quesadillas at the same time, and you can just close the air fryer drawer and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. I didn’t even flip mine while they cooked, and they turned out great! If you haven’t tried making a quesadilla in an air fryer, it’s certainly worth giving a whirl.
How do I make crispy quesadillas?
For a truly crispy texture, the air fryer is the way to go. Also, it helps you brush your tortilla with some melted butter, or spray it with a bit of cooking spray. The heat will circulate throughout the perforated air fryer drawer, crisping up the buttered edges of the tortilla beautifully! A quesadilla will crisp up a bit on the stove, but it won’t be quite as crispy and flaky.
Air Fryer Cheese Quesadilla Ingredients
- Flour tortilla (or corn, but flour is sturdiest)
- Melted butter (or cooking spray)
- Shredded cheese of choice (I use a Mexican blend)
Additional Filling Ideas
- Cooked chicken or beef
- Refried beans, or beans of choice
- Bell peppers
- Diced tomatoes
How to Make Quesadilla in Air Fryer
Making an air fryer cheese quesadilla is as simple as brush, fill, and cook! To start, brush down one side of your large tortilla with melted butter, or spray lightly with cooking spray. Flip the tortilla so the buttered side is down, then fill with cheese and additional fillings of choice. Finally, fold over the tortilla to create a semicircle, and it’s ready to cook!
For a leveled-up quesadilla, try my Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme recipe!
Air Fryer Quesadilla Cook Time & Temperature
Before cooking, preheat the air fryer to 370°F (185°C). Once preheated, add 1 or 2 assembled quesadillas into the air fryer basket, with a metal trivet on top so the tortillas don’t fly open during cooking. (Or, use soaked toothpicks to hold them closed.) Cook for 4-6 minutes, until crisped to your liking. No need to flip during cooking, although you’re welcome to if you prefer!
How do you reheat a quesadilla in an air fryer?
Whether you have homemade or restaurant leftovers, the air fryer is a great tool for reheating! I’d recommend reheating a quesadilla at 350°F (180°C) for 3-5 minutes, until warm and crisp to the touch.
See how to make this quesadilla in my Back to School Bento Box Lunches video!
Air Fryer Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1-2 tsp melted butter, (or cooking spray)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Additional Filling Ideas:
- cooked chicken or beef
- refried beans, or beans of choice
- chopped bell peppers
- chopped tomatoes
- sliced onions
- sliced mushrooms
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F (185°C).
- Spray one side of each tortilla with cooking spray, or brush with melted butter.
- Flip so the oiled/buttered side is facing down. Fill each tortilla with shredded cheese and fold in half. (If adding additional fillings, have some cheese on the bottom and some on top of the fillings, so they’re sandwiched between cheese to “glue” the tortilla together.)
- Transfer both assembled quesadillas to preheated air fryer. Add a metal trivet on top so the tortillas don’t fly open during cooking. (You can also hold the tortillas closed with soaked toothpicks.)
- Cook for 4-6 minutes. (Flip halfway through, if desired. I didn’t flip mine and they turned out great!)
- Cut into slices and enjoy!