Keto Cauliflower Fritters / Hash Browns
Cheesy Keto Cauliflower Fritters (No Flour)
How to Make Keto Fritters with Cauliflower Rice, Parmesan & Almond Flour
These easy, cheesy keto cauliflower fritters satisfy like comforting hash browns—no potatoes and no flour required! Instead, the combination of riced cauliflower, parmesan, and almond flour creates a deliciously starchy bite, with only 4g net carbs per serving. I’ll show you how to make keto fritters with cauliflower rice (or broccoli rice) all in under an hour.
I’ve made low carb baked broccoli fritters before, but these keto cauliflower fritters have won my heart ever since I first tried them. They only require a handful of ingredients, the cauliflower patties are very simple to cook, and they turn out so comforting despite being low in carbs. Seriously, they’re really like keto cauliflower hash browns and I love them dipped in ketchup!
Broccoli vs. Cauliflower Fritters
To make this cauliflower fritters recipe, I used cooked cauliflower rice as my base—but you can also use broccoli rice! Both riced cauliflower and broccoli are similar in texture, low in carbs, and rich in fiber. And, either option (or a mixture of the two) will work for these keto fritters. Whichever you choose, there are just two important things to keep in mind.
Tips for Keto Cauliflower Fritters
- Use cooked broccoli or cauliflower rice to make your keto cauliflower patties. Personally, I used a pre-cooked, shelf-stable cauliflower rice from Thrive Market. You can also start with raw cauliflower or broccoli rice—just saute it for a few minutes to soften before creating your patties.
- Squeeze broccoli / cauliflower rice to remove excess liquid. Once cooked and cooled to the touch, it’s essential that you add the veggie rice to a clean towel and squeeze out the moisture. This will ensure that the mixture for your keto fritters / hash browns is dry enough to hold its shape when you form it into patties and pan-fry!
How to Make Keto Fritters with Cauliflower Rice
With your broccoli or cauliflower rice cooked and dried out, prepping these keto fritters is easy!
- Add cooked cauliflower or broccoli rice to a bowl with additional ingredients and mix to combine.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion cauliflower patties / pancakes, shaping into a flat disc using hands.
- Add keto cauliflower fritters to a pan over medium heat. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until crispy and browning, then flip and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side.
How do I keep my cauliflower fritters from falling apart?
Although these keto cauliflower hash browns have a satisfyingly starchy bite, they can be somewhat delicate to prepare and cook. Generally, the more wet and liquid-y your keto fritters mixture is, the more likely your patties will crumble a bit while cooking. For the best results, follow these tips:
- Be sure to squeeze cooked cauliflower or broccoli rice to remove excess moisture! Seriously, don’t skip this step. By squeezing out that liquid in the beginning, you’ll have tastier fritters in the end.
- Tightly pack your cookie scoop or spoon when portioning cauliflower patties. Again, this helps to remove extra moisture, while also firming up each patty before it hits the pan.
- Be gentle when forming and flattening each patty in your hands. They don’t need to be perfectly circular or symmetrical, and it’s okay if they’re a little bit loose. Shape each patty just enough without messing with it too much, then place it onto the hot pan to cook.
Gaining Kitchen Confidence
This recipe can be a bit delicate and finicky to work with at first, but just be patient with yourself through the process. If you’re interested in increasing your confidence in the kitchen and feeling capable of cooking without a recipe, check out my Kitchen Confidence course! From food prep basics, to essential cooking methods, to full meal tutorials, this course is designed to equip you with the skills you need to take the reins in the kitchen.
Check out my Keto, Paleo & Vegan Bento Box Lunches video to see how this recipe is made!
Keto Cauliflower Fritters / Hash Browns
Keto Cauliflower Fritters
Topping & Serving Ideas
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped scallions or chives
- sour cream + hot sauce
- sriracha mayo
- Drain excess liquid from precooked cauliflower rice, or cook raw cauliflower rice as desired.
- Wrap cooked cauliflower rice in a clean towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. (This will help your fritters hold their shape & crisp up!)
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a large bowl with, eggs, almond flour, parmesan cheese, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Using a cookie scoop (I used 1½ Tbsp), portion mixture into hands. Gently form into a flat patty and add to hot pan. Repeat and cook 4-6 fritters at a time (or as many will fit on a pan).
- Cook 5-6 minutes on one side, until crispy and browning. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings and/or condiments. (Also tasty served cold!)
- Yields 20-24 keto fritters.