Bacon & Sweet Potato Baked Hush Puppies
Healthy Baked Hush Puppies – Thanksgiving Appetizer Ideas!
Bring some bite-sized comfort to Thanksgiving with these scrumptious bacon and sweet potato BAKED hush puppies! No deep fryer needed—but they’re still filled with the nostalgic homestyle flavor and mouthfeel that I love.
Buttery yet light, ultra-savory, and with just enough natural sweetness!
For the base of this batter, I used classic cornmeal along with some oat flour to keep these healthy hush puppies cleaner and gluten free. Crumbly and comforting, yet light and wholesome. And, feel free to add a bit of cayenne to your batter if you’d like a fun kick of heat!
Best of all, the hint of sweetness in these gluten free baked hush puppies is actually coming from a sneaky VEGETABLE: sweet potato! Paired with savory bacon, that salty-sweet combo makes this fun Thanksgiving side dish simply irresistible.
Bake them up until they’re firm and beautifully golden brown. For maximum deliciousness, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple Dijon dip!
Of course, baked hush puppies inevitably are a bit different than the traditional deep-fried goodies. But, I’ve loved hush puppies since I was a kid and, I’ve gotta say, these definitely don’t disappoint!
Looking for more healthy holiday recipe inspiration?
You can find tons more recipes like this in my 150+ Healthy Holiday Recipes eBook!
Sweet Potato & Bacon Baked Hush Puppies
- Baked Hush Puppies:⅔ cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne, optional
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- ¼ cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sweet potato purée
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 3 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar, for topping
- Maple Mustard Dip:½ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne (if desired).
- Separately, mix together onion, milk, eggs, sweet potato purée, and butter.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined. Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp batter into sprayed mini muffin tins.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (or sugar-free powdered sugar), serve, and enjoy!
- Yields ~28 baked hush puppies.
Per Tbsp, yields 8 servings (~½ cup dip)
28 calories | 2g fat | 5g carbs | 0g fiber | 3g sugars | 0g protein *Nutrition provided for baked hush puppies made with coconut oil and includes powdered sugar topping.