Crispy Pita Croutons
Who doesn’t love some good, crunchy salad toppings to keep our veggies interesting? Whether you’re chowing down on a Mediterranean salad, a vegan hummus bowl, or just craving a crispy snack, these baked pita croutons are a quick and healthy fix!
While traditional croutons can satisfy our cravings for crunch, they’re generally not-so-fuel-filled additions to a salad… Luckily, it’s SO easy to whip up your own, healthier crunchy salad toppings at home!
What ingredients do I need to make pita croutons?
Pita. This may or may not surprise you, but the only ingredient you’ll need to make these pita croutons is pita bread! You’ll want to make sure you go with the kind that has a pocket in the middle to get that delicious flaky crouton texture!
How to make crispy pita croutons
1 Cut your pita
Start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°), then, split or cut each pita into 2 rounds. I find that a serrated knife works best for this. This is why it’s important to use pita that has a pocket in the middle, so it can be cut easily, toast up and get crisp!
2 Toast your pita in the oven
Transfer your pita halves to a baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
3 Break your toasted pita into pieces
Allow your toasted pita halves to cool and break them into bite-sized pieces, aka croutons!
Sprinkle your easy homemade croutons on top of salads and bowls to add a fun crunch. They also go wonderfully in a bowl of soup!
Croutons aren’t just for salads, I find they go so well in any kind of bowl, as well as soup (like my Easy 3-Ingredient Tomato Soup), or even just as a snack on their own. Get creative!
Why should I make my own homemade pita croutons?
There are plenty of reasons to make your own croutons! It’s an excellent way to add extra flavor and texture to your salads and more, all while reducing waste and being able to customize to your heart’s content!
- Customization. Homemade croutons allow you to customize the flavors and seasonings according to your preferences. You can experiment with various herbs, spices, and even add garlic or cheese to create unique and delicious combinations!
- Get rid of leftovers. Making croutons is an excellent way to use up any stale or leftover pita and reduce waste!
- Nutrition. Store-bought croutons often contain additives, preservatives, and artificial flavors. When you make your own you can avoid any unnecessary additives and choose a pita that aligns with your dietary preferences!
Whatever you choose, a healthier pita bread will make for healthier pita croutons. For some inspiration on how to use your pita croutons, check out my Mediterranean vegan hummus bowl!
Crispy Pita Croutons
- 2 mini/sandwich-sized pita bread pockets, whole-grain, gluten-free if needed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°).
- Split each pita into 2 rounds and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and break into bite-sized pieces.
- Sprinkle on top of salads and bowls to add a fun crunch!
- Yields 2 servings crispy pita croutons.