Homemade Baked Tortilla Bowls for Taco Salad
These easy homemade baked tortilla bowls are irresistibly crispy—perfect for taco salad! Making homemade taco salad bowls is as simple as pressing a tortilla into an oven safe bowl and baking it. An equally tasty yet healthier alternative to the typical deep fried bowls! Learn how to make taco bowls in the oven in 20 minutes or less, using whole wheat tortillas or flour tortillas.
How to Make Baked Taco Bowls with Wheat or Flour Tortillas
Seriously, you don’t need a deep fryer to make a crave-ably crunchy taco bowl. Your tortillas will bake to perfection, and they’re so easy to make. Plus, with homemade baked tortilla bowls, you can choose atortilla that works for your lifestyle. Regular flour tortillas, 100% whole wheat or whole grain, or even gluten-free and grain-free options can all work in this recipe.
Best of all, baked tostada bowls are the perfect vessel for a healthy taco salad at home. Once you learn how to make tortilla bowls in the oven, you can fill them with any ingredients you like. Build your own Mexican salad, a DIY burrito bowl, or check out my vegan & vegetarian taco salad recipe! A fun, fuss-free option to spice up your homemade meal routine.
What is a taco salad bowl made of?
Typically, restaurant taco salad bowls are made with large flour tortillas that are deep fried in a special bowl-shaped frying basket. Deep frying gives the taco salad shell a crispy, puffy, bubbly texture—as well as added calories, trans fats, and harmful byproducts. Instead, these baked taco bowls offer a satisfying crunch without the hassle and health concerns of deep frying!
Homemade Tortilla Bowls Ingredients
- Tortillas of choice, burrito size (8-10 inch). Personally, I like to use regular flour tortillas or whole wheat tortillas for my taco salad bowls. But, you can also experiment with your favorite gluten-free or grain-free tortilla shells if they’re large enough and relatively sturdy! However, I don’t recommend using corn tortillas as they tend to tear easily.
- Cooking spray
- Oven safe bowl (or tortilla bowl molds)
What do I bake my taco salad bowl in?
First, you’ll need at least one oven safe bowl that you can prepare your homemade baked tortilla bowls in. Look on the bottom of the bowl or on the packaging to be sure it says ‘oven safe’ somewhere. Also, I recommend choosing a bowl that’s fairly deeper than average—about 1-quart to 1½-quarts in size. This is crucial to shaping your taco salad bowl for best results!
How do you use tortilla bowl molds?
Alternatively, some people make homemade taco bowls in designated tortilla bowl molds. If you have these at home, go ahead and use them! They’re a neat tool you can use to create different taco salad bowl shapes. I personally don’t own any of these molds, so I just fold my tortilla into a deep oven safe glass bowl.
How to Make Tortilla Bowls in the Oven
- First, make sure to choose a tortilla that’s sturdy and large enough to fit your bowl—at least 8-10 inches cross. (This is often labeled as “burrito size.”)
- Next, lightly spray tortilla with cooking spray on both sides.
- Press tortilla into your oven safe bowl, so it reaches the bottom. Then, gently fold creases along the edges to fit the shape of the bowl. Be patient as you get the hang of folding the tortilla—it may tear a bit on the first few attempts!
- Once your taco salad shell is ready in the bowl, place the bowl on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until browned and crispy to your liking.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before filling with homemade taco salad or a burrito bowl!
What temperature do I bake tortillas for taco bowls?
In my experience, baked tortilla bowls turn out best when baked at 375°F (190°C). I have tried them at 350°F (180°C) and they don’t crisp up enough, and at 400° (200°C) they cooked too fast and burned. Of course, your oven may be slightly different than mine, so don’t be afraid to adjust the temperature for your baked tostada bowls if needed!
How long does it take for tortillas to get crispy?
Baked at 375°F (190°), my homemade tortilla bowls became crispy after 17-18 minutes on average. However, I recommend starting with 15 minutes and checking on them as they cook! The bake time can vary based on the type of tortilla you use, as well as the shape of your bowl. You know your baked taco bowls are ready when the edges are browned and starting to crisp.
For more taco & taco salad recipes:
- Vegan & Vegetarian Taco Salad
- Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
- Air Fryer Fish Tacos
- Low Carb Breakfast Tacos
- BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos
- Spaghetti Tacos
- Vegan Chili Tacos
See how to make these baked tortilla bowls in my Vegan Jackfruit Tacos + Taco Salad video!
Homemade Baked Tortilla Bowls for Taco Salad
- 4 tortillas of choice*, 8-10 inch size
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spray both sides of tortilla with cooking spray. Press tortilla into a 1-quart oven-safe bowl to make taco salad shell shape. Pinch edges of tortilla and create folds, following the rim of your bowl.
- Place bowl on baking sheet. Bake on the middle or lower rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes, until edges are browned. (Bake on a lower rack in the oven so the edges don’t brown too quickly.)
- Allow to cool to room temperature before filling with taco salad. (It will crisp up more as it cools.)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Yields 4 homemade baked tortilla bowls.