Creamy Salsa Dressing for Taco Salad
Creamy Salsa Salad Dressing for Taco Salad
How to Make Taco Salad Dressing with Sour Cream, Mayo, and Salsa
A lusciously creamy salsa dressing for taco salad or a Mexican-inspired salad! Smooth, satisfying, flavorful, and oh-so-simple to prepare. Drizzle it onto a homemade vegetarian taco salad or use it as a sauce on your favorite tacos! Learn how to make taco salad dressing with salsa, sour cream, and mayo in just 5 minutes.
This salsa salad dressing combines a few of my favorite taco filling ingredients into one delicious dressing. The creamy, tangy goodness of sour cream, the refreshing acidity of salsa, a bright hint of lime, and an optional dash of jalapeño for a zesty kick. The perfect homemade salad dressing for taco salad – or any salad that you enjoy!
I love that this creamy Mexican dressing is so simple to prepare and easy to store in the fridge. Just blend your ingredients until smooth, then transfer to a jar. Best of all, a nutritious salad is truly satisfying and enjoyable to me when I serve it with this creamy taco salad dressing recipe. A rich and savory way to add some joy to my meal!
What are the types of salad dressing?
In simplest terms, there are essentially 2 main types of salad dressing in Western culture.
- Vinaigrette: Typically, a mixture of oil and vinegar, sometimes flavored with spices or herbs. (Like my Italian salad dressing recipe.)
- Creamy: Dressings with a creamy base ingredient like mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, milk, yogurt, or a combination of these. (Like ranch dressing or my white cheddar salad dressing.)
Can salsa be used as salad dressing?
Yes, you could absolutely use salsa as a salad dressing all on its own! It’s simple, flavorful, and has a satisfying acidity—as many salad dressings do. Of course, salsa would be an ideal dressing for a homemade taco salad. Or instead, you can take a few extra minutes to blend your salsa with sour cream, mayo, and spices to make this creamy salsa salad dressing!
Creamy Salsa Dressing Ingredients
- Sour Cream. This is an essential, creamy base ingredient—particularly if you’re using this as a taco salad dressing recipe! I love sour cream on my tacos, and I love this sour cream salsa dressing on a taco salad. If desired, use a vegan sour cream instead.
- Mayonnaise. In combination with the sour cream, mayo makes this salad dressing lusciously thick and satisfying! Use your favorite store-bought mayo, or try my homemade avocado oil mayo recipe. Again, use a vegan mayonnaise to maket his a vegan salad dressing.
- Salsa. Use whatever salsa you enjoy—smooth or chunky; mild, medium, or spicy. Personally, I used a store-bought salsa for convenience. Or, you can whip up a quick and easy homemade salsa instead!
- Cumin. A simple yet satisfying seasoning that adds some savory, Mexican flair. Feel free to omit it, or substitute with chili powder for a zestier kick.
- Lime Juice & Zest. The bright, refreshing hint of citrus ties all of these taco-inspired flavors together! And, some citrus can help this healthy salsa dressing to last a bit longer stored in the fridge. If you don’t have lime, you could use lemon instead.
- Jalapeño. This is optional, but highly recommended for those who enjoy a bit of a spicy kick in their salad dressing!
How to Make Creamy Taco Salad Dressing at Home
To make this homemade taco salad dressing, simply add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. That’s literally it! In less than 5 minutes, you’ve got a creamy salsa salad dressing ready to drizzle onto your favorite salad. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Other salad dressing recipes:
For more healthy salad dressing inspiration, try some of my other homemade dressings:
- Lemon Tahini Salad Dressing
- White Cheddar Salad Dressing
- Whole30 Ranch Mayo Dressing
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Easy Italian Salad Dressing
- Citrus Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Vegan Garlic Dill Dressing
Creamy Salsa Dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup salsa
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp jalapeño, chopped & seeded, (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve over taco salad immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Yields 1½ cups salsa dressing.
6 Comments on “Creamy Salsa Dressing for Taco Salad”
This is going to be my new favorite salad dressing. It’s even good as a dip with tortilla chips. I’m going to try it with mango salsa too
Hi Bruce! We’re so glad you’re enjoying our taco salad dressing recipe! It’s one of our favorites, too 🙂 Such a great idea to eat it with chips!! Thank you for giving the recipe a try
This was a great recipe! I needed a type of dressing for the chicken tacos I was making. I wanted chicken tacos while my husband wanted a taco salad. I decided to go with a salsa dressing. The only adjustment I made was I added a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
Hi Sophia, we’re so glad you enjoyed our taco salad dressing recipe! We love it on tacos, too. Great idea to add Worcestershire! Thanks for trying out the recipe and sharing your experience here 🙂
This is really, really tasty!
Yay! Thank you, Tracy! We’re so glad you enjoyed our simple taco salad dressing recipe, and we appreciate you sharing your kind words here 🙂