Creamy Salsa Dressing for Taco Salad
Creamy Salsa Salad Dressing for Taco Salad
How to Make Taco Salad Dressing with Sour Cream, Mayo, and Salsa
A lusciously creamy salsa dressing for taco salad or a Mexican-inspired salad! Smooth, satisfying, flavorful, and oh-so-simple to prepare. Drizzle it onto a homemade vegetarian taco salad or use it as a sauce on your favorite tacos! Learn how to make taco salad dressing with salsa, sour cream, and mayo in just 5 minutes.
This salsa salad dressing combines a few of my favorite taco filling ingredients into one delicious dressing. The creamy, tangy goodness of sour cream, the refreshing acidity of salsa, a bright hint of lime, and an optional dash of jalapeño for a zesty kick. The perfect homemade salad dressing for taco salad – or any salad that you enjoy!
I love that this creamy Mexican dressing is so simple to prepare and easy to store in the fridge. Just blend your ingredients until smooth, then transfer to a jar. Best of all, a nutritious salad is truly satisfying and enjoyable to me when I serve it with this creamy taco salad dressing recipe. A rich and savory way to add some joy to my meal!
What are the types of salad dressing?
In simplest terms, there are essentially 2 main types of salad dressing in Western culture.
- Vinaigrette: Typically, a mixture of oil and vinegar, sometimes flavored with spices or herbs. (Like my Italian salad dressing recipe.)
- Creamy: Dressings with a creamy base ingredient like mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, milk, yogurt, or a combination of these. (Like ranch dressing or my white cheddar salad dressing.)
Can salsa be used as salad dressing?
Yes, you could absolutely use salsa as a salad dressing all on its own! It’s simple, flavorful, and has a satisfying acidity—as many salad dressings do. Of course, salsa would be an ideal dressing for a homemade taco salad. Or instead, you can take a few extra minutes to blend your salsa with sour cream, mayo, and spices to make this creamy salsa salad dressing!
Creamy Salsa Dressing Ingredients
- Sour Cream. This is an essential, creamy base ingredient—particularly if you’re using this as a taco salad dressing recipe! I love sour cream on my tacos, and I love this sour cream salsa dressing on a taco salad. If desired, use a vegan sour cream instead.
- Mayonnaise. In combination with the sour cream, mayo makes this salad dressing lusciously thick and satisfying! Use your favorite store-bought mayo, or try my homemade avocado oil mayo recipe. Again, use a vegan mayonnaise to maket his a vegan salad dressing.
- Salsa. Use whatever salsa you enjoy—smooth or chunky; mild, medium, or spicy. Personally, I used a store-bought salsa for convenience. Or, you can whip up a quick and easy homemade salsa instead!
- Cumin. A simple yet satisfying seasoning that adds some savory, Mexican flair. Feel free to omit it, or substitute with chili powder for a zestier kick.
- Lime Juice & Zest. The bright, refreshing hint of citrus ties all of these taco-inspired flavors together! And, some citrus can help this healthy salsa dressing to last a bit longer stored in the fridge. If you don’t have lime, you could use lemon instead.
- Jalapeño. This is optional, but highly recommended for those who enjoy a bit of a spicy kick in their salad dressing!
How to Make Creamy Taco Salad Dressing at Home
To make this homemade taco salad dressing, simply add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. That’s literally it! In less than 5 minutes, you’ve got a creamy salsa salad dressing ready to drizzle onto your favorite salad. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Other salad dressing recipes:
For more healthy salad dressing inspiration, try some of my other homemade dressings:
- Lemon Tahini Salad Dressing
- White Cheddar Salad Dressing
- Whole30 Ranch Mayo Dressing
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Easy Italian Salad Dressing
- Citrus Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Vegan Garlic Dill Dressing
Creamy Salsa Dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup salsa
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp jalapeño, chopped & seeded, (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve over taco salad immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Yields 1½ cups salsa dressing.