Healthier Homemade Cosmic Brownies Recipe
Homemade Cosmic Brownies – Lower Sugar & Gluten Free!
This ‘90s snack is so good, it’s still around today… Now, you can make your own cleaner, healthier, homemade cosmic brownies! Whole grain, lighter on sugar, AND gluten free. Best of all, they’re so easy to make!
Really, you only need a few, simple ingredients for this recipe. And, the process is just like any other brownie—mix your batter, pour it into a pan, and bake. BUT, those ingredients make all of the difference!
Instead of nutrient-lacking refined grains, this brownie recipe uses oat flour as a whole grain alternative. And, if you use certified gluten free oats, you can be sure your treats are 100% gluten free! Then, I used some stevia to help cut down on the total sugar content.
Finally, last but not least, I’ve crafter a cleaner frosting using coconut cream and coconut oil! After all, I couldn’t call these homemade cosmic brownies WITHOUT that luscious, indulgent frosting. Of course, the sprinkles are optional, but they’re a MUST for me!
Homemade Cosmic Brownies Recipe
Homemade Cosmic Brownies:
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup stevia
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup oat flour
Coconut Oil Frosting:
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- sprinkles for decoration!
For homemade cosmic brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut oil, eggs, stevia, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour and mix to combine.
- Pour batter into a 9×13-inch pan lined with foil and sprayed. Smooth batter into an even layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After baking, allow brownies to cool completely in pan.
For coconut oil frosting:
- Using a hand mixer, beat coconut cream into fluff.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate to coconut cream and beat together until well-integrated.
- Pour icing over brownies, spread into a smooth layer, and add sprinkles. Refrigerate 15 to 30 minutes to firm up, if desired.
- Cut into pieces, serve, and devour!
- Yields 14 homemade cosmic brownies (will depend on size of cut).