Sweet Carrot Ribbon Salad with Pineapple
Shaved Carrot Salad with Pineapple
How to Make a Carrot Salad with Mayonnaise, Pineapple & Dates
Brighten up the dinner table with this crunchy, creamy, sweet carrot ribbon salad recipe! A tasty side dish made with raw carrots peeled into ribbons, pineapple, dates, and walnuts—all tossed in a sweet mayonnaise dressing. Perfect served as part of a simple dinner, or as a seasonal side dish at a holiday feast!
You’re welcome to make this as a shredded carrot salad or a shaved carrot salad, but I personally love the texture of carrot ribbons. They’re like subtly sweet, crunchy, flat veggie noodles! Paired with sweet pineapple, crunchy walnuts, and creamy mayo, this simple salad is loaded with satisfying flavors and textures.
I designed this sweet carrot ribbon salad recipe as a holiday dish to serve at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, but you can enjoy it in all sorts of ways. Make it as part of a weeknight meal, pack it as part of a cold lunch, or even meal prep it ahead of time! Learn how to make a carrot salad with mayonnaise dressing for a fun new way to enjoy veggies.
Can I shave carrots ahead of time?
Yes, you can peel carrots into ribbons ahead of time. Or, you can make the entire shaved carrot salad ahead of time. Your carrot ribbons will stay relatively fresh for a few days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. For best results, toss the entire carrot ribbon salad together and let it sit in the fridge. I find it becomes more flavorful after it’s had some time to sit!
How to Make Carrot Ribbons
- First, peel the outside of a large carrot to remove the outer layer.
- Then, using a vegetable peeler, press firmly as you peel long strips from the carrot to make ribbons. (This gets easier with each ribbon you peel.)
- I recommend peeling several strips from one side of the carrot, and you’ll notice that side will begin to flatten. As it flattens, you’ll be able to peel wider, fuller ribbons.
- Also, it helps if you rotate peeling on different sides of the carrot, flattening each side with every peel.
Carrot Salad Dressing
For the carrot salad dressing in this recipe, I simply tossed my carrot ribbons with mayonnaise and coconut sugar to coat them. Then, I toss in the other ingredients—including the pineapple tidbits, which add some additional sweetness and moisture. Similar to a chicken salad or tuna salad, I think this sweet carrot ribbon salad tastes better after chilling for a bit!
Download this and loads of other festive recipes in my FREE 12 Days of Dried Fruit Holiday eBook!
Sweet & Crunchy Carrot Ribbon Salad
- ½ pound large carrots, peeled into ribbons, (~6 cups)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 8 oz can of pineapple tidbits, drained
- ½ cup (3oz) Sunsweet® Pitted Dates, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 Tbsp parsley, chopped, (for serving)
- Wash and peel outer layer of carrots.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel cleaned carrots into ribbons until you have around 6 cups. (You will get larger ribbons as you continue to peel and the edges of the carrot flatten.)
- Add carrot ribbons to a large bowl and toss with mayonnaise and coconut sugar.
- Add pineapple tidbits, chopped dates, and walnuts and toss until integrated. Chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving.
- To serve, stir well and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7days.