Starbucks Paradise Drink Refresher
Make your own lower-sugar version of the Paradise Drink at home with this easy 5-ingredient copycat recipe! Made with 100% fruit juices & no added sugars. The sweet-and-tangy goodness of Starbucks’ Pineapple Passionfruit Refresher, combined with creamy coconut milk—served over ice with dried pineapple pieces.
Starbucks’ Paradise Drink Refresher is actually just their Pineapple Passionfruit Refresher Base combined with coconut milk. The Pineapple Refresher is very sweet, with a bright tanginess from the pineapple & passionfruit flavors. And the Paradise Drink is like a smoother, creamier, sweeter upgrade with coconut milk added—it sort of tastes like a piña colada milk!
But as tasty as it is, I don’t usually care to spend $5 on a fruit-flavored summer Starbucks drink. I’d rather drink some real fruit juice, or make my own fruity lemonade with real fruit! So I wanted to make a satisfying copycat at home—except using actual fruit juice instead of the added sugars & flavorings used at Starbucks.
How much sugar is in the Paradise Drink at Starbucks?
A grande (16oz) Paradise Drink at Starbucks has 23g sugar, whereas this copycat recipe only has 9.5g sugar. Because, instead of the added sugar & “natural flavors” in Starbucks Refreshers, this homemade Paradise Drink uses real pineapple & passionfruit juice for natural sweetness & flavor. So don’t be surprised if your DIY drink tastes a bit different (or even better) than the original!
Copycat Paradise Drink Ingredients
This recipe starts with the same exact base as my Starbucks Pineapple Passionfruit Refresher recipe—you just mix it with coconut milk before serving!
Brewed Green Tea
The Paradise Drink at Starbucks is made with green coffee extract, so I made my own version with green tea to give it some flavor & caffeine. If you don’t like green tea or you don’t want caffeine, you can also make this recipe with plain water instead.
Pineapple & Passionfruit Juice
Use 100% fruit juice with no sugar added to make your own Paradise Drink lower in sugar & naturally sweet! Of course, feel free to add simple syrup or sugar if you want your drink to taste sweeter. If you need a substitute for passionfruit juice, try using guava, orange, pear, or mango juice instead.
This is the essential ingredient that gives the Paradise Drink Refresher its iconic creamy texture! Use full-fat coconut milk if you want a more flavorful, indulgent drink, or use light coconut milk for a lighter drink.
To make a true copycat Paradise Drink like at Starbucks, don’t forget the freeze-dried pineapple! You can totally enjoy the drink without the dried fruit if you want, but it adds such a fun textural element that I love.
Last but not least, be sure to serve your homemade Refresher over plenty of ice!
Does the Starbucks Paradise Drink have caffeine in it?
Starbucks uses green tea extract in their Pineapple Passionfruit Refresher base mixture, so there are around 45mg of caffeine in a grande (16oz) Paradise Drink. In this homemade version, the green tea adds around 30-50mg caffeine (per tea bag). If you want a caffeine-free option, just make your own Paradise Drink without tea & use water instead!
How to Make the Paradise Drink from Starbucks
- Optional: Brew Green Tea. If you plan to use green tea, steep the tea bags in boiling water for 5 minutes and allow the tea to cool. (If you don’t care to use green tea, skip this & use plain water instead.)
- Mix Refresher Ingredients. Next, combine pineapple juice, passionfruit juice, cooled green tea, and coconut milk in a jar or measuring cup, whisking well to integrate everything.
- Chill Before Serving. Transfer your homemade Paradise Drink mixture to the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes so it’s nice & cool before enjoying.
- Serve. Distribute the freeze-dried pineapple pieces & ice into 2 serving glasses, then pour the Paradise Drink Refresher on top and serve with straws!
More DIY Starbucks Refreshers:
Starbucks Paradise Drink Copycat
- 1-2 green tea bags, (optional)
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup passionfruit juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup freeze-dried pineapple, chopped (for serving)
- 1 cup ice, (for serving)
- Steep green tea in boiling water for 5 minutes, then remove tea bags & allow to cool. (Option: You can omit the green tea bag & use plain water instead.)
- In a jar or measuring cup, whisk together pineapple juice, passionfruit juice, cooled green tea, and coconut milk.
- Chill mixture in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- To serve, divide freeze-dried pineapple and ice into 2 glasses, then pour in Paradise Drink Refresher mixture. Serve with straws & enjoy!