Homemade Blueberry Lemonade
Learn how to make blueberry lemonade with blueberry puree, using your favorite store-bought or homemade lemonade recipe! Sweet blueberries + tart lemon juice is a truly perfect pairing. Deliciously flavorful, refreshing, and unbelievably easy to make—this blueberry lemonade recipe is a must-try! A fun, sippable treat with a gorgeous purple color that’s great for summer gatherings.
You may have seen blue lemonade in a grocery store, with an electric blue color and a flavor like blue raspberry. This all-natural recipe skips the artificial colors, flavors, and super-sugary syrups and uses real fruit and sugar instead! You can make this homemade blueberry lemonade with just fresh lemon juice, simple syrup or sugar, and real blueberries.
Sweet, fruity, and with a crave-able hint of tartness, this is one of my all-time favorite fruit lemonade flavors! To make it at home, just puree blueberries and combine with your choice of lemonade. You can use store-bought lemonade for convenience, or try my fresh squeezed lemonade with homemade simple syrup—including a low sugar and sugar free option.
More fruit lemonade recipes:
What is blue lemonade flavor?
Typically, store-bought blue lemonade has a deliciously sweet blue raspberry flavor that’s usually artificial. Instead of using sugary flavored syrups and food dye, this blueberry lemonade recipe lets you make an all-natural purple lemonade using real blueberries for flavor! (Or, try my Blackberry Hibiscus Lemonade recipe for another fun twist!)
Can you buy blueberry lemonade?
Yes, there are a few store-bought options, like Simply Lemonade with Blueberry. But, to my taste buds, store-bought varieties use much less blueberry overall—so they’re nowhere near as tasty as this homemade recipe! It’s loaded with fresh blueberry flavor and color, and it’s so quick to prepare.
How do you make blueberry lemonade without blueberry syrup?
Rather than using a flavored syrup, this homemade blueberry lemonade gets its flavor from a fruit puree you can make in a blender. Some recipes involve making a blueberry syrup, which can be totally tasty. But, this requires extra time and often results in leftover flavored syrup that you might not use. Instead, blueberry puree gives this recipe just as much flavor, with half the effort!
Homemade Blueberry Lemonade Ingredients
- Fresh Blueberries. You can find the ripest, sweetest blueberries during summer, so make the most of the season when making this recipe! I love the flavor of fresh blueberries in this recipe, but you can also use frozen blueberries—as long as you thaw them first.
- Honey (optional). If your blueberries aren’t as sweet as you’d like, you can blend them with a bit of honey for added sweetness when making your puree. This is totally optional, of course—and if you use ripe in-season berries, you likely don’t need any additional sweetener.
- Homemade Lemonade. My recipe for fresh squeezed lemonade is my go-to when I make this homemade blueberry lemonade. Or, you can also make things even easier on yourself by using your favorite store-bought lemonade.
Can I make lemonade with frozen blueberries?
Yes, you can make blueberry lemonade with frozen blueberries if you’d like. However, using fully frozen berries will make your blueberry puree turn out more like a blueberry smoothie. For best results, thaw frozen blueberries first so they’re no longer icy. I like to transfer the package of frozen fruit to the fridge to thaw for 6-8 hours, until the berries soften up.
How to Make Blueberry Puree
To make blueberry puree at home, blend blueberries with lemonade (to make blending easier) plus optional honey for added sweetness. Be sure to blend for at least 1-2 minutes or more to make the puree as smooth as possible. This is particularly important because the skins on the berries will need to be properly pulverized! Then, strain to remove any pulp before making lemonade.
How to Make Blueberry Lemonade
- Prepare blueberry puree. Blend blueberries with 1 cup lemonade (and optional sweetener) until pureed and smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve to strain and separate pulp.
- Combine with lemonade. In a pitcher, combine the puree with homemade lemonade (or store-bought lemonade). Stir well to integrate.
- Chill in the fridge. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
See how to make lemonade with blueberries in my 4 Fruit Lemonades video!
Homemade Blueberry Lemonade
- 3 cups blueberries
- 3 Tbsp honey, (optional)
- 3 cups homemade lemonade, (or store-bought)
- Add blueberries to blender with optional honey and 1 cup lemonade.
- Blend until extremely pureed and smooth. Let it go for at least 1-2 minutes to get it as fine as possible.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove pulp.
- Add to a pitcher and combine with 2 cups lemonade, stirring to integrate. Chill in the fridge for an hour before serving.
- Serve over ice and enjoy!
- Yields ~6 cups (48oz) blueberry lemonade.
132 calories | 0.2g fat | 33.5g carbs | 1.5g fiber | 29.5g sugars | 0.5g protein Nutrition for blueberry lemonade made with my homemade lemonade: Per 1 cup (8oz):
106 calories | 0.2g fat | 28g carbs | 1.5g fiber | 24g sugars | 0.5g protein Nutrition for blueberry lemonade made with my low-sugar lemonade: Per 1 cup (8oz):
91 calories | 0.2g fat | 28g carbs | 1.5g fiber | 20g sugars | 0.5g protein