4-Ingredient Spinach Banana Smoothie
Easy Spinach Banana Yogurt Smoothie (Vegan-Friendly)
How to Make a Green Smoothie with Spinach, Banana, Yogurt & Milk
Try this creamy, easy spinach banana smoothie that you can make with only 4 ingredients! Deliciously simple, naturally sweet, and loaded with nourishing green goodness. Learn how to make a green smoothie with spinach, banana, yogurt, and milk. Vegan-friendly and no sweeteners needed! And, easy to customize with berries, nut butter, or any additions you like.
Healthy smoothies don’t need to be complicated, and you don’t need tons of ingredients. You can turn just about any classic fruit smoothie into a vegetable smoothie by adding a heaping serving of spinach! This spinach and banana smoothie does just that: combines a frozen banana with plenty of superfood spinach, plus milk and yogurt for creaminess.
If you want to keep this spinach banana smoothie vegan, simply use the non-dairy milk and non-dairy yogurt of your choice. And, if you want to add other fun fruits, nuts, or nut butter, go for it! This recipe is meant to be as simple as possible, yet still totally tasty with just 4 ingredients. Use this as a base recipe and jazz it up however you like!
Is banana and spinach a good combination?
Yes, this spinach and banana smoothie is a dynamite combination! Taste-wise, the natural sweetness of the banana masks the mild bitterness of the spinach. Combined with creamy yogurt and milk, you won’t even taste the spinach! Plus, combining spinach and banana also boosts the nutrient content—making this green smoothie an even better source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium.
Spinach Banana Smoothie Ingredients & Substitutions
- Milk of Choice—I prefer to use soy milk for a bit of added sweetness, creaminess, and protein. Really, you can use any milk you like! Dairy milk or nondairy milk will all work just as well in this recipe.
- Spinach—This nutrient-packed leafy green is a must for this recipe! Of course, if you want to change up your greens from time to time, you could replace the spinach with kale or even make an arugula smoothie.
- Banana, frozen—A frozen banana adds an extra layer of cool creaminess to this green smoothie recipe. You’re welcome to use a fresh banana, or substitute with another sweet tropical fruit like kiwi, pineapple, or mango. (More ideas below.)
- Yogurt of choice—I like to use Greek yogurt for creaminess, and it adds over 10g of protein to this smoothie! You can also use regular yogurt or the nondairy yogurt of your choice to keep this spinach banana smoothie vegan.
Customization & Addition Ideas
- Fruit: In addition to banana (or as a substitute), there are loads of other fruits you could add to this recipe. I’ve made this as a kiwi spinach banana smoothie before by adding 2 peeled kiwis to the recipe, and it’s delicious! Or, consider adding ½-1 cup of pineapple, mango, fresh or frozen blueberries or strawberries, or even sliced peaches.
- Nut Butter: This recipe is also delicious as a peanut butter spinach banana smoothie, so consider adding 2-3 Tbsp of peanut butter—or any nut butter that you like!
- Nuts & Seeds: For added nutrients and thickness, consider adding 1-2 Tbsp of chia seeds or ground flax, or nuts like almonds, walnuts, or cashews.
- Protein Powder: Of course, you can easily add a scoop of your favorite protein powder to this green smoothie if desired!
Is a spinach and banana smoothie good for you?
Yes, this spinach banana yogurt smoothie offers loads of different vitamins and minerals. You can adjust the protein and fat content with the type of milk and yogurt you use. But spinach and banana themselves are both highly nutritious! And don’t worry—blending spinach will NOT destroy its nutrients. In its leafy form or blended form, spinach is one of the most nutritionally dense vegetables you can eat.
Spinach Banana Smoothie Benefits
Truly, this spinach banana smoothie is like a sweet and sippable multivitamin. In combination, spinach and banana offer a healthy dose of dietary fiber. Plus, essential minerals like magnesium and potassium—which are involved in bone health, regulating blood pressure, and regulating mood and sleep.
On its own, spinach is an incredible source of vitamin K1: an essential nutrient for bone health that helps us absorb calcium from other foods. And, spinach also contains loads of immune-boosting vitamin C, vitamin A for healthy eyes and skin, and folate for cellular health DNA production. Plus, you’ll even get some calcium and iron.
On top of this, spinach and other leafy greens are incredible anti-inflammatory foods. That’s because they’re rich in antioxidants, which help reduce chronic inflammation and reverse damage caused by free radicals. In particular, spinach is rich in kaempferol—an antioxidant with powerful and well-studied anti-cancer effects!
See how to make this easy spinach smoothie in my Green Veggie Smoothie Recipes video!
4-Ingredient Spinach Banana Smoothie
Spinach Banana Smoothie:
- ½ cup soy milk or milk of choice, (add more as needed for blending)
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup Greek or dairy free yogurt of choice, (optional for creaminess)
Optional Additions or Substitutions:
- 1-2 kiwi, peeled
- 2-3 Tbsp peanut butter or nut butter
- 1-2 Tbsp chia seeds or ground flax
- 1 cup blueberries or strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!