Pumpkin Pie Wontons with Cream Cheese Filling
Baked Pumpkin Pie Wontons – Healthy Holiday Appetizer for a Crowd!
These adorable baked pumpkin pie wontons taste like crispy, bite-sized pie pockets! Sweet pumpkin and salty cream cheese make for a festive, heavenly filling, all wrapped up in a savory wonton wrapper. A lighter Christmas dessert that’s low in sugar, rich in flavor, and sure to please!
Wonton wrappers are just thin square sheets of dough that you can find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. And you could use them to make all kinds of baked dessert wontons, or even savory baked wontons for appetizers!
For the holidays, I tried out these pumpkin pie wontons with a cream cheese filling as a lighter twist on the classic pie. Since wonton wrappers are so thin, they bake up to the perfect level of golden crispness. And, they’re even more delicious with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top!
Whether you’re craving crispy baked dessert wontons or want to try making savory baked wontons for appetizers, there are TONS of flavor possibilities to explore. Use this recipe as a guide for how to make baked wontons and get creative with your fillings!
How to Make Baked Wontons
To make the filling for these pumpkin pie wontons, simply add all of your filling ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Creamy, indulgent, and easy-peasy! Then, all that’s left to do is assemble—which is a similar process if you want to make baked wontons of any kind.
First, I recommend working on a flat surface, with a small bowl of water for you to wet your fingers. Then, place a wrapper down flat and spoon about one teaspoon of filling onto the middle. Using your fingers, wet the edges of the wrapper, fold it over into a triangle shape, and press to seal.
Continue assembling until you’ve used all of your filling, and keep your assembled wontons covered under a sheet of plastic until you’re ready to bake. Then, brush the outsides of each with egg wash, so your baked wontons will brown and crisp up, and into the oven they go!
Of course, I highly recommend giving this baked pumpkin pie wontons recipe a try. But, as I mentioned, you can really use this recipe to make baked wontons with any filling you like!
Baked Wontons for Appetizers, Dessert, or Holiday Snacking!
These pumpkin pie wontons are the perfect, light holiday appetizers for a crowd, whether you’re hosting a party or a family gathering. Or, serve them up as a finger-food-friendly holiday dessert if you like. Either way, they’re so stinkin’ easy to make!
Again, you can totally make baked wontons of any flavor you choose—and they don’t have to be dessert wontons. But, I’ve gotta say…these pumpkin pie wontons are so deliciously simple, they’ve become a go-to holiday treat for me throughout the season!
Baked Pumpkin Pie Wontons
- 24 wonton wrappers, may want a few extra, just in case!
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar, to taste
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt, to taste
- 1 beaten egg + 1 Tbsp water, for egg wash
- powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin purée, cream cheese, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, make egg wash.
- Lay wonton wrapper on a flat surface, next to a small bowl of water for your fingers. Spoon 1 tsp filling onto wrapper and use water to wet the edges. Fold wet edges together to form a triangle shape and press to seal.
- Repeat until filling is gone. (Be sure to keep sealed wontons under plastic until you’re done filling so they don’t dry out!)
- Transfer assembled wontons to a lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Bake 10-12 minutes, until crisp and browning at the edges.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve, and enjoy!
- Yields ~ 24 pumpkin pie wontons.