Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips | Easy Paleo Snack
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips – How to Make CRISPY Baked Potato Chips
Potato chips are a classic favorite snack for kids and even picky eaters. But, you can serve up a snack that’s more fiber-filled, has a sweet-and-savory flavor twist, and is just as crave-ably crunchy… Give this oven baked sweet potato chips recipe a try!
Learn how to make truly CRISPY oven baked sweet potato chips with just 3 simple ingredients. Seriously, with just a bit of cooking spray and NO deep-frying, it’s hard to believe how crispy-crunchy these homemade sweet potato chips turn out!
It’s a healthy snack for kids AND adults that you’ll want to enjoy over and over again. Plus, when a recipe is THIS easy to make and with so few ingredients, why not?!
How to Make these Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips EXTRA Crispy
Usually, the key to crispiness in potato chips is deep frying or kettle cooking. Which, unfortunately, involves tons of oil (and usually it’s an inflammatory vegetable oil). Luckily, there are a few tricks you can use to get you oven baked sweet potato chips crave-ably crispy without frying.
Thin slices make for crispy baked chips.
Already, sweet potatoes have a sturdier texture that makes them primed for crispiness. And, they have a lower water content than white potatoes which makes for easier and faster crisping!
For best results, do your best to slice your sweet potatoes as thinly as possible. Thicker slices will likely retain some of the starchy softness in the potatoes. But, if you can get them really thin (like ⅛-inch thick), you’ll have the best chances for crispy baked chips!
For these oven baked sweet potato chips, I used a mandolin for easier slicing. (And, of course, I always use my safety gloves!) It’s a nifty tool that allows you to set a thickness for your slices so you don’t have to fuss with using a knife.
Of course, a mandolin isn’t necessary to make your oven baked sweet potato chips. But, it can be a big help—and could be a smart investment if you’re a big homemade veggie chip fan!
Take advantage of a wire baking rack.
Whether you’re craving crispy chips or crispy homemade fries, a baking rack is your best tool. Usually, we put our chips right onto a baking pan and into the oven like we’d do for roasting vegetables. But, this method doesn’t allow the heat to circulate around your chips.
Instead, a baking rack leaves room underneath your oven baked sweet potato chips so the heat can reach them on all sides. That way, you don’t end up with chips that are half-crispy on the edges but half-soft on the bottom!
If you’re into veggie chips or you’ve been trying to get your homemade fries crispier, I highly recommend getting a wire baking rack for your kitchen. Give it a try with these oven baked sweet potato chips and, trust me—you’ll be glad you did!
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 medium sweet potato
- oil/cooking spray
- salt, to taste
- any other seasonings and spices that you enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Use a mandolin to cut sweet potato into ⅛-inch thick slices.
- Arrange slices on a wire baking rack (if you have one) on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spray slices with cooking spray and season to taste. If desired, flip slices to spray and season on the other side.
- Bake 12-20 minutes*, flipping your slices halfway if not using a baking rack.*Cook time may vary! It will depend on your oven, the thickness of your slices, and the moisture/starchiness of your sweet potatoes. When ready, potato slices will be curling around the edges and starting to brown. Don’t be afraid of letting them brown a bit if you want truly CRISPY oven baked sweet potato chips!
- Sprinkle with salt when out of the oven if desired.
- Allow to cool, serve, and enjoy!