Extra Crispy Baked Potato Chips | 3 Ingredient Healthy Snack
Crispy Baked Potato Chips – Healthy Homemade Potato Chips!
These homemade crispy baked potato chips are a deliciously easy and nutritious snack option! And, SO much cleaner than store-bought varieties. No deep-frying, no sneaky preservatives, and no inflammatory vegetable oils.
With homemade baked potato chips, YOU get to choose your cooking oil, and your seasonings! But, if your homemade chips never seem to get the same crispy crunch that you crave, this is the recipe for you…
Learn how to make extra crispy baked potato chips at home, with just a potato, cooking spray, and seasonings! Just 3 ingredients and an oven? Healthy snacks don’t get much easier (or tastier) than this!
How to Make Extra Crispy Baked Potato Chips at Home
Alright, if you’re skeptical about these crispy baked potato chips, I don’t blame you. If I hadn’t eaten them all, I would be, too! I’ve always thought that store-bought potato chips will forever reign supreme because they’re fried or kettle cooked.
But, after plenty of rounds experimenting, I’ve found a few secrets to making TRULY crispy baked potato chips:
Cut your potato into ultra-thin slices.
Ideally, you want slices around ⅛-inch thick so they’ll shrink up in the oven and you’ll have extra crispy baked potato chips. But, if you don’t have a mandolin, that’s alright! Just do your best to carefully slice your potato as thin as you can manage.
Pat slices dry to remove excess moisture.
Ever slice into a potato and notice that the white flesh inside is a bit wet? Well, that’s just because potatoes naturally retain some moisture. Which, if you’re making mashed potatoes, can be great!
But, for crispy baked potato chips, that moisture can be your downfall. If your potato slices are wet or moist going into the oven, it’ll take them longer to crisp up. And, more than likely, they’ll end up burning in the oven before they get to that perfect crispness.
Instead, simply arrange your potato slices on dry paper towels and pat both sides dry! This will soak up that excess moisture so your chips can get right to crisping once they’re in the oven.
Bake on a wire rack.
If you’re a fan of making baked potato chips, veggie chips, or homemade baked fries, I highly recommend getting a wire baking rack! Seriously, it’s the key to genuinely crispy baked potato chips, or crispy chips and fries of any kind.
Since a wire rack has holes in it, the heat in the oven can better circulate all the way around your potato slices. And, that heat circulation means the tops AND bottoms of the slices can crisp up. So, no soggy bottoms on your chips where they were touching the pan!
Or, if you don’t have a wire rack, you could always try flipping your potato slices halfway through the baking process. BUT, this can be risky with a hot pan fresh out of the oven, so be extremely careful.
Really, just trying any one of these tricks can help you achieve more satisfying, crispy baked potato chips. But, if you can manage to employ all three of these strategies, I know you’ll be happy with the result… Give this recipe a whirl and enjoy healthier, CRISPY baked potato chips that you can feel good about!
Crispy Baked Potato Chips
- 1 medium russet potato
- oil/cooking spray
- salt, to taste
- any other seasonings and spices that you enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Use a mandolin to cut potatoes into ⅛-inch thick slices. (It can help to lay your slices out on paper towels and pat dry before seasoning and baking to remove excess moisture. This will allow them to cook faster and make them crispier!)
- Arrange slices on a wire baking rack (if you have one) on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spray slices with cooking spray and season to taste. If desired, flip slices to spray and season on the other side.
- Bake 12-20 minutes*, flipping your slices halfway if not using a baking rack.*Cook time may vary! It will depend on your oven, the thickness of your slices, and the moisture/starchiness of your potatoes. When ready, potato slices will be curling around the edges and starting to brown. Don’t be afraid of letting them brown a bit if you want truly crispy baked potato chips!
- Sprinkle with salt when out of the oven if desired.
- Allow to cool, serve, and enjoy!