5 Ingredient Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe with 3 Ingredient Biscuits
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake with Just 5 Ingredients!
The ultimate, EASY strawberry shortcake recipe made with only 5 ingredients! I’ll show you how to make strawberry shortcake featuring my 3 ingredient biscuits, homemade whipped cream, and macerated berries with no sugar needed. An oh-so-simple treat that you can whip up in under 30 minutes.
Personally, homemade strawberry shortcake has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a child. It’s a basic trio—a bread-y biscuit or cake, strawberries, and whipped cream—but it’s always so deliciously satisfying. Comforting, bright, and sweet!
As a kid, we would always buy pre-made mini shortcake shells from the grocery store and load them up with strawberries and whipped cream. But, I wanted to kick this easy strawberry shortcake recipe up a notch with an unbelievably simple homemade biscuit! There’s nothing like a freshly-baked biscuit, and for these you only need 3 ingredients to make them.
Let’s walk through how to make strawberry shortcake at home—featuring my easy 3 ingredient strawberry shortcake biscuit recipe, made with just self-rising flour, sweetener, and heavy cream. Plus, I’ll share my favorite way to lighten up this classic treat: Truvia® Sweet Complete™! For perfectly sweet strawberries and homemade whipped cream, with NO added sugars.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients for this easy strawberry shortcake recipe couldn’t be simpler, and there are really just 3 main ingredients: self-rising flour for the biscuits, heavy cream for the homemade whipped cream, and (of course) strawberries! Besides that, all you’ll need is a bit of sweetener and vanilla extract for flavor.
If you’ve never used it before, self-rising flour is just like an all-purpose flour that already has the salt and baking powder mixed into it. Basically, it just lets you skip a few steps and cuts down on the total ingredients you’ll need. No, I haven’t yet found a gluten free self-rising flour, but the glutinous biscuits in this easy strawberry shortcake recipe are worth it for me!
When it comes to treats and indulgences, I want to have the tastiest possible treat that I’ll enjoy thoroughly. But, I also want to make considerations for my health where possible—so long as I’m not sacrificing on flavor… For me, that means a regular old strawberry shortcake biscuit recipe made with gluten!
But, where I can lighten things up is in the sweetener I use. I’ll show you how to make strawberry shortcake using my new favorite, natural sweetener: Truvia® Sweet Complete™! It’s an erythritol & stevia blend that you can use as a 1-to-1 replacement for sugar, and it tastes delicious. The result is perfectly sweet and satisfying strawberry shortcakes with no added sugars!
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
4 cups strawberries, quartered
⅓ cup Truvia® Sweet Complete™
1 cup self-rising flour
2 cups heavy cream
¼ tsp vanilla extract
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake at Home
This easy strawberry shortcake recipe has 3 basic components: the macerated strawberries, 3 ingredient biscuits, and homemade whipped cream. Altogether, it should take you under 30 minutes to prepare—but you’ll want to devour them immediately!
Of course, if you aren’t a fan of my strawberry shortcake biscuit recipe then you’re welcome to use any biscuit recipe that you like. Or, if you don’t want to make whipped cream at home, go ahead and buy Cool Whip or whatever you prefer! (Although, homemade whipped cream can’t be beat…) And, feel free to substitute regular sugar for Truvia® Sweet Complete™ if desired.
To start, chop and quarter your strawberries. Add those into a large bowl and toss with a few tablespoons of Truvia® Sweet Complete™ (or sugar). Make sure to mix well so they’re nicely integrated! Then, set that aside and allow to macerate while you prepare your 3 ingredient biscuits.
Prepare 3 Ingredient Biscuits & Bake
The strawberry shortcake biscuit recipe that you use can make or break your shortcake! Don’t be fooled by the simple ingredients in this recipe—these biscuits turn out AMAZING. Seriously, I could eat them all on their own, slathered in butter or jam. SO good.
To make your 3 ingredient biscuits, all you’ll need is self-rising flour, sweetener, and heavy cream.
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Recipe
1 cup self-rising flour
1 Tablespoon of Truvia® Sweet Complete™
¾ cup heavy cream
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and sweetener. Next, add in heavy cream and mix well with a wooden spoon, until you’ve got a lumpy dough. Try not to overmix!
- Then, form that dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Once chilled, divide the dough into 6 pieces for your biscuits. (Using a large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop can help with this.) Place onto a lined baking sheet and brush the tops with a bit of heavy cream.
- Finally, bake in the oven at 450°F for 8-12 minutes, until they’re browning on the tops.
Whip Heavy Cream
While those strawberry shortcake biscuits bake, get your heavy cream whipped up. You can do this in a regular bowl with a hand mixer, or use a stand mixer. Simply pour about 1 cup of heavy cream into the bowl, followed by 1 tablespoon of sweetener and some vanilla extract. Using the whisk attachment(s), whip until nice and fluffy!
Serve Sliced Biscuits with Strawberries & Cream!
Finally, with your easy strawberry shortcake recipe components at the ready, all that’s to do is assemble! When your 3 ingredient biscuits have finished baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Slice them in half, then add each to a plate so you can dress them up with the toppings. (Or, save as many biscuits for later as you’d like.)
Scoop some of the macerated strawberries onto each biscuit, followed by a generous dollop of whipped cream, and voila—the EASIEST 5 ingredient strawberry shortcake ever, ready to devour!
Easy 5 INGREDIENT DESSERTS
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 4 cups strawberries, quartered
- ⅓ cup Truvia® Sweet Complete™
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Toss strawberries and 3-4 Tbsp of Truvia® Sweet Complete™ in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and 1 Tablespoon of Truvia® Sweet Complete™.
- Add in ¾ cup of heavy cream, stirring with a wooden spoon until a lumpy dough forms. (Don’t overmix!) Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 5-10 minutes.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop out the dough into balls and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment and sprayed. Brush the tops with heavy cream and bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Whip up the rest of the heavy cream (~1 cup) using a hand or stand mixer, along with another 1 Tablespoon of Truvia® Sweet Complete and vanilla extract.
- Slice the biscuits in half, then top with strawberries and cream. Serve and enjoy!
- Yields 6 strawberry shortcakes.