Mediterranean Gluten Free Crackers Recipe | 2 Ingredient Recipe
Crispy, Crunchy, Oat & Chickpea Crackers – Vegan & Gluten Free Crackers Recipe!
For this tasty gluten free crackers recipe, all you need is hummus and oats! Sure, buying crackers at the store is convenient. But, these simple homemade crackers are loaded with healthy fuel that our bodies appreciate. And, they can save us some money!
Even better, you can maximize your thriftiness by making your own hummus and blending oats into oat flour. Altogether, that makes these budget crackers just $0.16 per serving! And, you can make this entire gluten free crackers recipe for under $1!
Holy Crap on a Cracker
(Seriously, that’s a real saying—I didn’t make it up). I know, you’re probably thinking: how the heck can this be true? A gluten free crackers recipe with only 2 ingredients? YES, you better believe it! And yes, they really do taste as good as any store-bought cracker.
Honestly, they’re even better because I get to eat these vegan crackers knowing they‘re clean, easy and cheap. Which makes them so much more satisfying! And, adding some seeds on top not only adds flavor, but it makes them look like “real” crackers! Finally, a healthy gluten free crackers recipe that I can feel good about eating.
And, they can even be sort of fun to make! Yes, you do have to roll out the dough and cut out your cracker shapes. But, it’s much easier than you’d think, and even kids can help! If the dough is tough to work with, consider sticking it in the fridge to chill for a bit. This will allow it to firm up so it’s easier to roll out and cut.
Truly, these crackers are wise. As in, they‘re wise for your health! Hummus is made from chickpeas, which are a fiber- and protein-rich legume. And, oat flour is a great gluten free and grain free flour substitute. But, for a 100% gluten free crackers recipe, be sure to use certified gluten free oats!
Then, combine those two wholesome ingredients, and you get the easiest gluten free crackers recipe imaginable. Healthy, easy, delicious—all of which contribute to the wise nature of these crackers. (Sorry, did I take that one too far?)
Get Creative with this Gluten Free Crackers Recipe!
Keep in mind, this gluten free crackers recipe is pretty basic. But, the fun doesn’t need to stop here! You can take this to the next level with a flavored hummus, or add some other fun herbs and spices that you enjoy. Or, add a variety of seeds for the topping, like poppy or flaxseeds! And, feel free to skip the garlic if you prefer. Make this gluten free crackers recipe your own!
Gluten Free Crackers Recipe
- 1 cup hummus
- ⅔ cup oats ground to flour
- sesame seeds
- coarse sea salt
For Homemade Hummus:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed, save 1 Tbsp chickpea water to add to dough
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- If making your own hummus, first drain and rinse chickpeas, saving 1 Tbsp of the chickpea water to add to your dough later.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, garlic, salt, and olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer hummus to a large mixing bowl. Add flour and mix to combine, forming a dough ball.
- Place dough on a flat surface, lined with parchment. Put another piece of parchment on top and use a rolling pin to flatten out dough (¼ inch thick or less).
- Cut dough into circles. (I used a 2¼-inch round cookie cutter, you could also use the rim of a glass.) Re-roll leftover dough and continue to cut out cracker shapes until dough is used up.
- Place cut dough shapes on a baking sheet, lined with parchment and lightly sprayed.
- Prick the center of each cracker with a fork so they bake evenly.
- Sprinkle on sesame seeds and press down gently with hands. Sprinkle on salt.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Yields ~50 gluten free crackers.