Cheddar Parmesan Cheesy Cauliflower Tots
Easy, Cheesy Cauliflower Tots – Homemade Baked Tater Tots! (Without the ‘Tater’)
When you’re craving a warm, cheesy, satisfying snack, how often do you turn to veggies? Well, if you’re like most of us, probably not very often. But, some warm cheesy goodness would make veggies a whole lot more enticing… Just a little bit of cheddar and parmesan go a LONG way in this healthy vegetarian snack recipe—transforming steamed cauliflower into cheesy cauliflower tots!
Tater-Less Tater Tots?
Yes, you can have healthy tater tots. And, these cheesy cauliflower tots are actually totally ‘tater-less.’ Instead of traditional starchy potatoes, these tots use nutritious cauliflower as a base! And, combined with the cheese, that cauliflower creates an irresistibly gooey texture. But, the breadcrumbs keep the tots crave-ably crispy on the outside. Bake them ‘til golden brown and enjoy dipped in ketchup or your favorite sauce!
Cauliflower: Sneaky Superfood!
Cauliflower is a part of the disease-fighting cruciferous vegetable family. Usually, its green cousins (broccoli and Brussels sprouts) get most of the superfood spotlight. But, cauliflower has equally super benefits!
Like other cruciferous veggies, cauliflower is rich in some of the most powerful cancer-fighting compounds on the planet. Most notably, glucosinolates, isothiocyanates, and sulforaphane. And, according to research studies, these compounds can slow down and even stop the spread of some cancers! Can you say: cancer-fighting cheesy cauliflower tots?!
In addition, cauliflower’s omega-3 fatty acids and choline make it an all-star addition to an anti-inflammatory diet. Plus, choline is an often-overlooked but essential nutrient for our brains. It helps to preserve our memory, cognitive performance, and motor skills as we age.
Generally, eggs are the most common and well-known source of choline. But, cauliflower is actually one of THE best plant-based sources of choline!
Cheesy Cauliflower Tots: Sneaky Dose of Veggies!
Okay, let’s be real: it can be tough to fit enough veggies into our meals. First, try experimenting with foods and flavors that you already enjoy! Personally, I am a HUGE cheese lover. Hence: cheesy cauliflower tots! But, these beauties are still light, full of fuel, and amazingly tasty.
The taste of cauliflower is extremely mild, adding just a subtle, savory boost and creaminess to the cheddar parmesan cheese duo. Plus, that cheese packs eleven grams of protein into each serving of cheesy cauliflower tots! A great, fuel-filled snack for kids or a tasty addition to your breakfast menu!
Hey, craving more cauliflower? Download my FREE Cauliflower 10 Ways eBook!
Cheesy Cauliflower Tots
- 2 cups 200g steamed cauliflower florets (3-5 minutes boiling water/microwave)
- ½ cup 75g diced onion
- 1 egg
- ½ cup 50g shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp 25g grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup 30g bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a food processor, pulse steamed cauliflower until grated to a rice consistency. Place grated cauliflower on a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to drain water—the more dry the better!
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl and mix with remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste.
- Spoon out about 2 tsp of mixture and roll it into a tater-tot shape with your hands. Transfer to a sprayed baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tots are golden and starting to brown.
- Serve warm cauliflower tots with ketchup & enjoy!
- Best served same day.