Herby Almond Flour Crackers | Vegan & Low Carb Crackers
Mediterranean Almond Flour Crackers – 4 Ingredient Low Carb Crackers Recipe!
Nutty, herby, and crave-ably crunchy, these almond flour crackers are AMAZING. And, you only need 4 simple ingredients to make them! The almond flour gives these crackers a heartier texture that crisps, crumbles and crunches with every bite.
Plus, it keeps them low in carbs! Best of all, these almond flour crackers are perfectly salty, with a fresh and herby flavor from the za’atar seasoning. Great for dipping in hummus, guacamole, or enjoying plain!
An Easy Nut to Crack-er
Healthy crackers may seem impossible, but they’re totally doable! And, almond flour works surprisingly well for homemade low carb crackers. Since it’s a dense flour, it absorbs the liquid ingredients in the dough while remaining a thick, easy texture to work with.
Almonds, especially raw almonds (which is what are used to make almond flour), are very neutral in flavor, making them a great base for baking recipes. They’re easily paired with other ingredients, meaning you can keep flavor combinations endless.
Personally, I love a plain-and-simple salted cracker. But, the za’atar seasoning definitely kicks this almond flour crackers recipe up a notch.
Regardless, you really need just a few ingredients to make these almond flour crackers work: almond flour, olive oil, and water! Then, you can let your mind have fun with the salt and seasonings.
Spicing Up Your Almond Flour Crackers
Za’atar is a common seasoning in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, with a delicious and comforting savory flavor. It’s a spice blend that’s traditionally made with dried herbs, like thyme, oregano, marjoram, sumac and sesame seeds.
Of course, you could try making your own if you’re feeling adventurous! But, the proportions in a za’atar recipe are specific, so I’d suggest buying your own online, or at a specialty grocery store.
If you can’t find za’atar, sumac is a great substitute. Or, just use whichever herbs and spices you prefer! Simple garlic and onion powder, or sesame seeds with salt will do the trick for these almond flour crackers!
Controlling the Carbs
Almond flour is commonly used in paleo, low carb or keto recipes because it’s completely grain-free and higher in fat. So, if you’re looking for a way to keep carbs low in your gluten free cracker recipe, almond flour is the ticket!
And, it’s also rich in vitamins and minerals, making these almond flour crackers more nutritious than a wheat based (or store bought) alternative.
Remember, fat is a more filling and satiating macronutrient that won’t spike blood sugar. So, you’ll likely be satisfied eating less than you would with traditional crackers. That is, if you can stop eating these delicious almond flour crackers!
Low Carb Almond Flour Crackers
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp zaatar seasoning
- 2 Tbsp light olive oil
- 3 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together water and oil.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, and herbs.
- Stir wet ingredient mixture into dry. Mix to combine. The dough will be crumbly, but should stick together when pressed.
- Transfer dough to a sheet of parchment and press flat with hands. Top dough with another sheet of parchment and roll out with a rolling pin, about ⅛-inch thickness.
- Remove top parchment and cut dough sheet into squares. (Mine were about 2-inch squares.)
- Transfer dough squares to a baking sheet lined with parchment and lightly sprayed.Bake 14-16 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before serving and enjoying!
- Store at room temperature in a sealed airtight container or zip-top bag for up to a week.
- Yields ~40 almond flour crackers (depending on size of cut).