Vegan Sweet Potato Smoothie
This festive vegan sweet potato smoothie tastes like an indulgent holiday dessert—in a sippable, healthy breakfast beverage! Deliciously creamy, perfectly sweet, and loaded with nutrition to power your morning. Learn how to make a fall breakfast smoothie with sweet potato mash, pecans, coconut yogurt, and comforting fall spices.
Check out my Vegan Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for another fall-time favorite breakfast!
Can you put sweet potato in a smoothie?
You don’t typically see sweet potato in smoothie recipes, but it’s actually a fantastic addition! Cooked sweet potato can add natural sweetness and creaminess to a breakfast smoothie, almost like frozen banana. You really don’t even need to add sweetener in this recipe because it’s naturally sweet enough—even without any fruit. Best of all, a smoothie with sweet potato also has that uniquely roasty, caramelized flavor that I find so comforting. It’s like a sippable cup of sweet potato casserole!
Can you blend sweet potato raw?
If you don’t want to use cooked sweet potato, you can make a smoothie with raw sweet potato, but it won’t be as sweet, flavorful, or creamy. During the cooking process, the starches in sweet potato develop into sugars and the fibers soften. This is why a roasted sweet potato smoothie will be sweeter, creamier, and easier to blend—and a raw sweet potato smoothie will be starchier, less sweet, and harder to blend. If you want to give it a try, grate your raw sweet potatoes before blending.
Sweet Potato Smoothie Benefits
- Energizing Complex Carbs. The creamy, comforting starches in sweet potatoes are also an incredible source of fuel-filled complex carbohydrates. These carbs offer our bodies a lasting source of energy since they take longer to break down, and they can be more filling and satisfying. Perfect for an energizing morning smoothie!
- Powerful Antioxidants. Sweet potatoes get their gorgeous, vibrant orange color from beta-carotene—a powerful antioxidant that our bodies convert into vitamin A, keeping our eyes and skin healthy.
- Loaded with Fiber & Minerals. With 1 whole sweet potato in this healthy smoothie, it’s also a great source of gut-supporting fiber—plus loads of essential minerals like potassium, magnesium, and iron.
Sweet Potato Pecan Smoothie Ingredients
- Sweet Potato. You can make this smoothie with mashed sweet potato or sweet potato puree—whichever you prefer. Just cook, peel, and then mash or puree. But for the best flavor, I recommend roasting sweet potato for smoothies rather than steaming or microwaving. Although these methods will be faster than roasting, the starches in sweet potatoes need time to fully develop into sugars while cooking.
- Pecan Milk. You can use any milk you’d like, really—just stick with nondairy to keep your sweet potato smoothie vegan. When I made this recipe, I had just discovered pecan milk, and its silky texture and comforting flavor were perfect for a fall smoothie!
- Coconut Yogurt. This is one of my favorite varieties of nondairy yogurt because of its rich, creamy texture and healthy fats. It makes my breakfast smoothie more filling, and it adds a subtly sweet flavor that I enjoy. If you’re not a fan, you can use any nondairy (or dairy) yogurt you prefer.
- Maple Syrup. To make this vegan smoothie really taste like a slice of sweet potato pie, add some maple syrup! (And coconut whipped cream on top!) This is totally optional though—sweeten to taste or omit if preferred.
- Pecans. Maximize the festive fall comfort by blending some pecans into your sweet potato smoothie! The combination of sweet and nutty flavors is irresistible and such a fun change of pace in a smoothie. If you’re willing to add a few minutes of prep time, you can infuse another layer of comfort by making your smoothie with toasted pecans!
Vegan Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Vegan Sweet Potato Smoothie
- 1 sweet potato, cooked & mashed
- 1 cup pecan milk, or milk of choice
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk yogurt, or nondairy yogurt of choice
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp pecans, chopped
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup ice cubes
- coconut whipped cream
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, serve, and enjoy!
- I like to top mine with a bit of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, but you can use any toppings you prefer!
- *Nutrition calculated using pecan milk and coconut milk yogurt.