Whole30 Slow Cooker Pineapple Turkey & Veggies
Whole30 Freezer Crockpot Meal: Slow Cooker Pineapple Turkey w/ Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms & Bell Pepper
Simplify your Whole30 meal prep with this veggie-packed dinner: my Asian-inspired slow cooker pineapple turkey! A deliciously sweet and savory meal that will last all week, or can feed the whole family on a busy night. Plus, I get a healthy balance of protein, vegetables, and even some fruit—all in one dish!
Between the shaved Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots, and water chestnuts, there are plenty of nutritious veggies in each serving. Then, instead of the traditional grains, the pineapple pieces and juice provide healthy carbs. And, fruit is a great source of natural flavor and no-sugar-added sweetness for this and other Whole30 meals!
For me, one of the best things about Whole30 slow cooker recipes is how tender and flavorful my protein becomes after cooking low and slow. It soaks up all of the delicious savory flavors from the broth, the umami from the coconut aminos, the sweetness from the fruit and the ketchup, plus a zesty kick from the hot sauce!
It’s a scrumptious, fuel-filled meal that doesn’t require much effort—which is a big win. And, I actually enjoy eating it, which is a crucial aspect of any healthy lifestyle. Most importantly, since this is a Whole30 freezer crockpot meal, I can prep everything ahead of time so it’s ready whenever I need it!
If you’d like to know more about the Whole30, check out my What is Whole30? blog. You’ll learn the basics and philosophy of the program there, and you’ll also find loads of other Whole30 recipes!
Keeping this Slow Cooker Pineapple Turkey Recipe Whole30 Compliant
Full disclosure: I didn’t create this slow cooker pineapple turkey recipe specifically for my Whole30. But, I actually think that’s one of the coolest takeaways from this recipe! So many of the meals and flavors that we already enjoy can be adapted to suit the Whole30 rules. Often, we just need to read the nutrition labels and make a few, simple substitutions.
And, the bigger lesson there is that we can adjust pretty much any recipe to make it cleaner and more fuel-filled—even when we’re not doing Whole30! In my eyes, that’s part of the purpose of doing the Whole30: to realize what’s really in the foods we eat, and to learn how to make smarter choices.
So, all that said, it’s important to choose Whole30 compliant ingredients when making this slow cooker pineapple turkey recipe:
- Pineapple Juice & Canned Pineapple—choose 100% juice and clean canned fruit with no added sugars.
- Coconut Aminos—a Whole30 soy sauce alternative made from coconut sap, since soy is off-limits during the Whole30.
- Ketchup—nearly every store-bought ketchup includes added sugars or off-limits additives of some kind! Opt for a Whole30 approved ketchup, make your own ketchup at home, or substitute with tomato paste.
- Hot Sauce—I designed this recipe using sriracha, which actually isn’t Whole30 compliant because it contains sugar. Read the ingredients closely and choose a Whole30 compliant hot sauce!
Prep-Ahead Tips for Whole30 Freezer Crockpot Meals:
With freezer to crockpot meals, I can always have a nutritious dinner ready to cook for busier nights. And, especially when I’m doing the Whole30, I need easy options like this slow cooker pineapple turkey meal! There’s less effort required in the kitchen and I end up with a juicier, more flavorful meal, thanks to the low heat and longer cook time.
To prep ahead of time, simply add all of your ingredients to a large freezer-safe bag—broth, sauces, juices and all. Remove as much air as possible before sealing, and label with the meal prep date. Then, you can store in the fridge to use later in the week, or freeze for up to 3 months!
When ready to cook, just pour the entire bag into your slow cooker or crockpot and let it work its magic! (If you choose to freeze this slow cooker pineapple turkey meal, just be sure to transfer to the fridge to thaw 24 hours before cooking.) No need to stand in the kitchen, monitoring and stirring the pot.
Better yet, if your cooker has a ‘warm’ setting, you can turn it on in the morning, go about your day, and come home to a freshly-cooked meal. Less effort, more flavor, and quality fuel that my body appreciates!
Whole30 Slow Cooker Pineapple Turkey & Veggies
Whole30 Slow Cooker Pineapple Turkey:
- 2 lbs 900g ground turkey
- 1 bag, 10 oz, 284g shaved Brussels sprouts
- 8 oz 225g sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can, 8 oz, 225g sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup 120 mL broth
- ½ cup 120 mL pineapple juice (100% juice)
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos, or soy sauce—just not while doing Whole30!
- 3 Tbsp ketchup, Paleo/Whole30 approved
- 1 can, 8 oz, 225g pineapple chunks (no sugar)
- 1 can, 8 oz, 225g pineapple crushed (no sugar)
- salt, to taste (may not need if using soy sauce)
- 2 tsp Whole30 hot sauce, or sriracha (optional)
For Topping & Serving:
- sesame seeds
- lettuce wraps
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker.
- Break up meat using a wooden spoon, so it spreads apart and cooks through evenly.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Once cooked, stir to make sure meat is broken up and well-integrated.
- Serve on lettuce wraps, a salad, or enjoy as-is. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and enjoy!
- Yields 6 servings.
For meal prep:
- Add all ingredients into a large freezer-safe bag and seal closed, removing as much air from the bag as possible.
- Label the bag as needed, with the name of the meal, the prep date, etc.
- Store in the fridge for later in the week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Hungry for More Whole30 Meal Prep Recipes Like This?
You might like my Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Sheet Pan Meal from this Whole30 Meal Prep video, as well as some of the recipes from my first Whole30 Meal Prep video!
Or, for more freezer to slow cooker meals and easy weeknight dinner ideas, check out my Meal Prep Slow Cooker & Sheet Pan Recipes eBook! It’s filled with 20 slow cooker meals like this one that you can freeze ahead of time, along with 20 easy sheet pan meals with instructions for meal prepping.
2 Comments on “Whole30 Slow Cooker Pineapple Turkey & Veggies”
Tried this slow cooker meal during my 1st whole30 and ended up making it multiple times. It’s very tasty and so easy to make! I love that it’s convenient to make but also the way the natural sweetness of the pineapple satisfies my sweet tooth when I can’t have other sugars. Now I make it all the time and just wanted to say thanks for it!
Hi Nona, we’re so glad to hear that you enjoy this whole30 slow cooker meal! We love a meal that’s equal parts easy and tasty, with veggies, protein, and fuel-filled carbs all-in-one 🙂 thanks for giving the recipe a try!