Whole30 Sesame Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry Bowl
Easy Whole30 Lunch Idea: Broccoli & Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry with Coconut Beef & Sweet Potato!
Here’s a Whole30 lunch idea that’s deliciously simple and sure to satisfy! Creamy coconut beef and roasted sweet potato are the perfect complement to the savory, sesame goodness in this cauliflower rice stir fry. And, an awesome option to include in your Whole30 meal prep for the week. Ultra-flavorful, clean and wholesome, and chock-full of nutritious fuel!
Yes, the Whole30 program is pretty restrictive—which is why it’s only intended to last for 30 days. But, even with those restrictions, there are SO many tasty ingredients and flavor combinations that we can explore! That’s how I approached creating this Whole30 stir fry, and how I try to approach the Whole30 in general.
It’s not just about the specific foods we eat. Whole30 is also about examining and reshaping our relationship with food, and falling in love with real, whole foods that our bodies appreciate. But, we don’t have to feel limited by the program’s restrictions. We can embrace them and still craft scrumptious and EASY Whole30 meals!
Honestly, this cauliflower rice stir fry is so tasty and such a simple meal prep recipe, I enjoy eating it even when I’m not doing the Whole30. And, I actually feel full and satisfied after eating this Whole30 lunch, since I’ve given my body the fuel it needs!
Want to know more about Whole30? Learn the basics in my What is Whole30? blog—where you can also find plenty of other easy Whole30 recipes!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry
If you’ve never made cauliflower rice, you won’t believe how easy it is to do. Simply pulse chopped cauliflower in a food processor (or blender) until it’s a riced consistency, then wrap in a clean towel to remove excess moisture. Or, you may be able to find pre-made riced cauliflower at your grocery store!
When I make a cauliflower rice stir fry like this or cauliflower fried rice, I prefer to use frozen cauliflower rice. It’s generally easier to find, I can store it for weeks in my freezer, and it’s often cheaper than fresh-not-frozen riced cauliflower! And, it’s just as quick and easy to prepare.
To start, heat ghee or oil in a pan and sauté some chopped onion. Then, add your cauliflower rice and continue to cook another 5 minutes or so. For this cauliflower rice stir fry, I chose to include cauliflower AND broccoli rice to up the veggies and nutrients even more! (But, you could use all cauliflower rice, if preferred.)
Next, I pack in even more veggies with some chopped zucchini, and then mix in my flavorings. To give my Whole30 stir fry that authentic umami flavor, I went with vegetable broth, sesame oil, and coconut aminos—which is just a Whole30 approved soy sauce alternative. It’s subtly sweet, since it’s made with coconut sap, so be sure to add some salt!
Finally, let everything cook for another 8-10 minutes, until your broccoli and cauliflower rice stir fry is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Enjoy fresh, or portion and store to use as a component in your Whole30 meal prep for the week!
To Assemble your Whole30 Stir Fry Bowl:
For my Whole30 stir fry, I kept things classic with beef as my protein. But, instead of sliced beef or steak, I went the simpler route and cooked up a batch of ground beef. I first sauté some mushrooms with onions and garlic to get the flavors developing. Then, once the mushrooms have reduced, I start breaking up and browning the beef.
You could add your flavorings and stop there, but I’ve found a secret to more flavorful and juicy beef… Before it’s done cooking, I add some coconut milk to the pan and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. That way, the beef soaks up all of those rich fats and absorbs its creamy, subtly sweet flavor! Seriously, it’s worth the extra few minutes of simmering.
That creamy coconut beef is the perfect accompaniment to my broccoli and cauliflower rice stir fry. Finally, I top it all off with some roasted sweet potato cubes, and garnish with chopped green onion and sesame seeds! You can store each composed bowl, garnish and all, for 4-5 days so you’ve got a tasty Whole30 lunch ready throughout the week.
Of course, you can use this broccoli and cauliflower stir fry as a base recipe and combine it with any protein or other veggies that you like. For me, this veggie-packed Whole30 stir fry has become a staple in my Whole30 meal prep. Make this bowl your own and try out different combinations, so you can enjoy it over and over again in new ways!
Whole30 Sesame Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry Bowl
Broccoli & Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry:
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower rice, thawed
- 2 cups frozen broccoli rice, thawed (or fresh, if can’t find frozen)
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos, or soy sauce—just not while doing Whole30!
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tsp ghee
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 8- oz box sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt
Roasted Sweet Potato:
- 3 cups sweet potato cubes
- drizzle of oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- ground ginger, to taste
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds, ~2 tsp per bowl
- ¼ cup green onion, finely chopped (~1 Tbsp per bowl)
- cooked broccoli & cauliflower rice
- coconut beef
- roasted sweet potato
- sesame seeds & green onion garnish
To roast sweet potato:
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- On a lined baking sheet, toss sweet potato cubes in oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ground ginger.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
To make cauliflower rice stir fry:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt ghee. Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Once tender, add cauliflower and broccoli rice and allow to soften, about 5 more minutes.
- Add zucchini, vegetable broth, coconut aminos, sesame oil and salt, stirring to integrate.
- Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime juice and portion into meal prep containers for the week!
- Lasts 4-5 days in the fridge or freeze for later.
To make coconut beef:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt ghee. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Once mushrooms have reduced, add beef, break up meat in the pan, and cook until beginning to brown.
- Add coconut milk, coconut aminos, sesame oil, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until coconut milk has reduced.
To assemble bowls:
- Mix prepared cauliflower and broccoli rice, coconut beef, and roasted sweet potato. Garnish with ~1 Tbsp chopped green onion and ~2 tsp sesame seeds.
- Distribute into meal prep containers and store for the week. (When ready to eat, I recommend serving with ½ of an avocado!)
- Yields 4 servings.
Hungry for More Whole30 Lunch Ideas Like This?
Check out my Garlic Cauliflower Fried Rice Bowl from this Whole30 Meal Prep video, along with even more Whole30 Meal Prep Recipes from my first video!
9 Comments on “Whole30 Sesame Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry Bowl”
easy dinner recipes
Thank you! 🙂
When I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment.
Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
Hi there! Please email us at email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do 🙂
It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!