Apple Cheddar Sausage Savory Breakfast Muffins
Apple Cheddar Sausage Savory Breakfast Muffins – JUMBO Gluten Free Breakfast Muffins!
Rethink your healthy breakfast muffins—with these apple cheddar sausage SAVORY breakfast muffins! Soft, buttery, and luscious like the indulgent dessert muffins you love, but with a savory, cheesy twist. Plus, they’re also loaded with wholesome fuel!
Rather than using refined flours, oat flour makes these whole grain, gluten free breakfast muffins. And, who knew you could pack 20g of protein into a savory breakfast muffin?! A simple and delicious meal prep breakfast idea for kids, busy mornings, and taking on-the-go!
Savory Flavors, Breakfast Fuel, Packed into JUMBO Muffins!
These definitely aren’t your average healthy breakfast muffins… But, I’ve taken classic breakfast ingredients and baked them together to create these savory breakfast muffins. And, since one of my go-to healthy breakfasts is oatmeal, I’m using oat flour instead of refined flour!
Oats blend up into a light, fluffy, whole grain flour that loads nutritious complex carbs and fiber into your savory breakfast muffins. Really, oat flour is perfect for gluten free breakfast muffins of all kinds, as long as you use certified gluten free oats. And, its mild flavor works especially well for savory muffins!
On top of that whole grain goodness, the satiating protein in these muffins will keep you feeling full and energized. Luckily, with savory breakfast muffins, there are SO many tasty protein options. Again, I turned to some of my favorite breakfast ingredients: sausage, cheese, and protein-packed yogurt!
They make these muffins unbelievably hearty, and full of creamy, cheesy deliciousness. And, by making savory breakfast muffins from scratch, YOU control the ingredients and nutrition. Ground pork or turkey sausage, full or low fat dairy, non dairy yogurt—whatever suits your lifestyle!
Maximizing Flavor & Nutrition in Your Savory Breakfast Muffins
If you came here hungry for truly savory breakfast muffins, there are a few tips you’ll want to follow for maximum flavor (and nutrition):
Sauté your onions before adding your meat to the pan.
This is a simple trick, but it can add big time flavor into your savory breakfast muffins! Let your onions cook until soft, tender, and translucent (clear, not bright white anymore), THEN add your salty sausage meat to start cooking.
And, if you have kids who don’t like onions, sautéing them until tender keeps the flavor mild. They won’t even know they’re in these savory breakfast muffins!
Don’t knock the apples ’til you’ve tried ‘em!
For my taste buds, apple, cheddar, and sausage are a classic combo. But, if you’re a bit thrown off by or hesitant about the apples in this cheesy recipe, I promise it’s worth giving it a whirl!
With all of the umami flavor in these savory breakfast muffins, you really need the natural sweetness from the apples to balance things out. They’re scrumptiously sweet and soft after baking, and they can make your healthy breakfast muffins extra comforting!
When in doubt, add spinach. (And cheese.)
Seriously, don’t hold back on the spinach in your savory breakfast muffins! It’s one of THE most nutrient-dense foods on the entire planet, and it will wilt down to nothing after cooking with your sausage.
Plus, it’s a great flavor sponge, soaking in all of that savory goodness. And, of course, one of the best things about these savory breakfast muffins is the CHEESE. There’s not much in this recipe, so don’t be afraid to add a bit extra!
If you’re concerned about your savory breakfast muffins not being savory enough, add more cheese. If you’re wondering whether or not your cheesy sausage muffins will turn out as cheesy as you’d like, definitely add more cheese.
Apple Cheddar Sausage Savory Breakfast Muffins
- 1 Tbsp oil of choice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 8 oz ground pork sausage, or turkey
- 3 cups spinach
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1⅔ cups plain yogurt of choice
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup apple, chopped
- fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until translucent and tender. Add sausage and break up until cooked through—about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool while you prep the batter.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Separately, whisk together yogurt, coconut oil, and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients to wet until just combined—don’t overmix!
- Stir in about ¾ cup of the cheddar cheese (reserve some for the tops!), apples, and cooked sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a jumbo muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray and top with chives and additional cheese. (I use 2 scoops of a regular-sized ice cream scoop, or about ½ cup. Fill the muffins almost to the top, but not all the way!)
- To help jumbo muffins cook through evenly, bake for 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C), and then lower to 350°F (180°C) and bake 20-22 minutes. They are done when tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before popping out of the tin and enjoying!
- Yields 8 jumbo savory breakfast muffins.