2 Ingredient Quinoa Tortillas
Looking for a homemade tortilla recipe that’s not only gluten-free but also incredibly simple? Look no further! I’m going to show you how to make my quinoa tortillas that use just 2 ingredients and are so delicious.
Yes, that’s right, you can totally make quinoa tortillas, and all you really need is quinoa flour! Which means these tortillas are gluten-free, egg-free, and vegan! This superfood ancient grain flour makes it unbelievably fast and easy to whip up some wholesome, whole grain tortillas right in your own kitchen!
Do I need a tortilla press?
No! One of the beautiful things about this recipe is how simple it is, and how little it requires, not just in terms of ingredients, but equipment as well. If you’ve got a pan to cook them in, you’re all set!
Quinoa Tortilla Ingredients
1 Quinoa flour
To be completely honest, I am not a huge fan of quinoa, but quinoa flour is surprisingly versatile for gluten free baking! It does have a slight quinoa taste, but overall, quinoa flour tastes pretty neutral with a very slight nuttiness. But best of all, it’s an incredible binding agent! These tortillas hold together so well for being gluten free, and that’s all thanks to the quinoa flour.
Even in Los Angeles, they did not have quinoa flour at my regular grocery store, so it may require a bit of hunting. Or, you can just buy your quinoa flour on amazon!
You can also make your own if you feel so inclined by simply adding quinoa to a blender or food processor. This can take some time though, so get ready to be patient with it!
The salt in this recipe is super helpful to cut back on that very slight bitterness that quinoa flour has, and it also just makes it taste like a tortilla! Every good tortilla recipe should have at least a little bit of salt for flavor.
You’re also going to need water…
I know, I know, you might be thinking “Alyssia, that’s a third ingredient,” but it’s water, so I don’t count it!
Other Gluten Free Tortilla Alternatives
If you’re looking for other gluten-free tortillas, but don’t want to use quinoa flour (I get it!), I’ve also got Keto Almond Flour Tortillas and 3-Ingredient Corn Tortillas that might be more suited to your tastes. I also have a Gluten-Free Pita Bread recipe that is super popular, and I know you’ll love it too!
How to Make Quick and Easy Quinoa Tortillas
1 Whisk your tortilla ingredients
Whisk together your ingredients in a large pourable measuring cup or dish. Set aside to thicken for a few minutes.
2 Preheat and Spray your Skillet
Preheat your skillet to medium heat. Once hot, spray it down well with cooking spray.
3 Pour your Tortilla Batter into the Pan
Add your tortilla batter to the middle of your pan and immediately swirl it around to let the batter spread out evenly into a larger tortilla, I aimed for around 4–5 inches. You may find that your tortillas don’t always come out in perfect circles. That’s okay! Mine didn’t always either, but they are still going to work fine and be just as delicious.
4 Cook your Tortillas
Allow your tortillas to cook until the edges begin to lift off the pan, about 90 seconds.
5 Flip your Tortillas
Then, you’re going to flip your tortillas and let them cook on other side until small brown spots start to show, about 1 minute, and then flip back to original side for an extra 30 seconds.
6 Cool and Enjoy your 2-Ingredient Tortillas!
Set aside to cool completely before devouring. Any crisp edges will soften once cooled.
Storing and Freezing your Tortillas
My gluten-free quinoa tortillas are best enjoyed fresh, but you can store any leftovers in a sealable bag or airtight container at room temperature 1-3 days. Or, you can transfer your tortillas to a freezer-safe bag, seal it up, and freeze for up to 3-4 months.
These homemade quinoa tortillas are an absolute game-changer if you’re looking for a gluten-free alternative. With their delicate texture and subtle nutty flavor, with just two simple ingredients you can create a delicious and wholesome alternative to traditional tortillas. Why settle for store-bought gluten-free alternatives that are loaded with additives and preservatives, when it’s so fun and easy to make your own? Happy cooking!
Check out my 2-Ingredient Quinoa Tortillas video to see how this recipe is made!
Homemade Quinoa Tortillas
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Whisk together your ingredients in a large pourable measuring cup or dish. Set aside to thicken for a few minutes.
- Preheat your skillet to medium heat.
- Once hot, spray it down well with cooking spray.
- Add 3–4 Tbsp of batter to the middle of your pan and immediately swirl your pan around to let the batter spread out evenly into a larger tortilla, around 4–5 inches.
- Allow to cook until the edges begin to lift off pan, about 90 seconds. Flip to cook other side until small brown spots start to show, about 1 minute, and then flip back to original side for an extra 30 seconds.
- Set aside on a cooling rack allow to cool completely before devouring. Any crisp edges will soften once cooled!
Storage & Freezing
- Homemade quinoa tortillas are best enjoyed fresh, but you can store leftovers in a sealable bag or airtight container at room temperature 1-3 days.
- If you live in a more hot and humid climate, you can also try storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days, so they don’t get soggy.
- To freeze quinoa tortillas, first allow them cool completely, then wrap each tortilla individually in parchment paper or foil. Transfer wrapped tortillas to a freezer-safe bag, seal it up, and freeze for up to 3-4 months.
- When you want to use your frozen tortillas, let them thaw in the fridge or at room temperature, then reheat on a low temperature in the oven (or microwave.)