Homemade Breakfast Crunchwrap Recipe
This is truly the BEST copycat Taco Bell breakfast crunchwrap recipe with sausage, eggs, and cheese! Honestly, it’s even better than the fast food version. Savory and salty, melty and cheesy, and with a satisfying crunch in every bite. Learn how to make a breakfast crunchwrap at home and how to fold a crunchwrap for a perfectly golden-brown seal.
The classic Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme used to be one of my favorite things to eat. Then, once I tried my hand at making a homemade version in college, I realized a homemade crunchwrap supreme is even tastier! Once I found out that Taco Bell serves a breakfast crunchwrap as well, I knew I had to make my own copycat recipe.
With savory sausage, fluffy eggs, loads of cheesy goodness, and that crunchy tostada shell all wrapped in a warm tortilla, this is an unbeatable handheld breakfast. And, whether you’re making this breakfast crunchwrap recipe or my classic crunchwrap supreme recipe, the fillings are totally customizable. Use bacon instead of sausage, add hash browns or hot sauce—whatever you like!
What is in a breakfast crunchwrap?
The Taco Bell Breakfast Crunchwrap features scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, cheddar cheese, jalapeño sauce, and a full hash brown—all wrapped in a tortilla with a corn tostada in the middle. That means this breakfast crunchwrap recipe isn’t an exact copycat, but it’s close. Again, you can customize your fillings however you like to make the wrap of your dreams!
Copycat Taco Bell Breakfast Crunchwrap Ingredients
Nacho cheese sauce
- Tortillas: This breakfast crunchwrap requires large, burrito-size(10-inch) flour tortillas—large enough to wrap around the tostada and fillings. I recommend sticking with true flour tortillas, because alternatives like whole wheat or gluten free tortillas tend to tear when folding.
- Sausage: Breakfast sausage is my personal favorite breakfast meat for this recipe, but you could use bacon as well. For a vegetarian option, consider replacing the meat altogether with black beans or tofu, or try adding a hash brown or some tater tots!
- Eggs: Fluffy scrambled eggs make this crunchwrap such a satisfying way to start the morning! Of course, you can use an egg alternative instead, or replace the eggs with scrambled tofu.
- Nacho Cheese: I think some processed, canned nacho cheese sauce makes this homemade breakfast crunchwrap ultra-comforting and satisfying! You really don’t need to use much, and it adds to my enjoyment of the meal. Of course, you’re welcome to replace it with a less-processed alternative, a homemade cheese sauce, or omit it altogether
- Tostada Shells: The corn tostadas put the CRUNCH in crunchwrap! I find mine in the “Mexican” or “Ethnic” food aisle of my grocery store. If you’re unable to find any, you can try layering in some corn tortilla chips.
- Ketchup: I’m a big fan of ketchup with my eggs, but you could also use your favorite hot sauce, sriracha, or whatever sauce you enjoy.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend are my go-tos for a breakfast wrap, but you can really use any cheese you want. Swiss, pepper jack, gouda—whatever you like!
How to Make a Breakfast Crunchwrap
To make a breakfast crunchwrap at home, assemble your filling ingredients, fold up each wrap, and cook on the griddle until golden brown.
- Cook breakfast sausage through. Separately, scramble eggs.
- Cut 4 tortillas into smaller circles, so they’re the same size as your corn tostada shells. (Save leftover tortilla scraps for mini quesadillas, or baked bunuelos chips!) Leave the remaining 4 tortillas whole and intact.
- Lay a large tortilla flat and assemble one crunchwrap. Spread on nacho cheese, then layer on breakfast sausage, tostada, ketchup, scrambled eggs, and shredded cheese. Place 1 small tortilla circle on top of the cheese.
- Fold up the edges of the large tortilla to finish assembly. (See below for detailed instructions.) Repeat to assemble remaining crunchwraps.
- Spray each wrap lightly with cooking spray and place seam-side down onto a griddle at 350°F (or a skillet over medium-high heat). Cook 3-5 minutes on each side.
How to Fold a Breakfast Crunchwrap
It’s important to follow the press, fold, pleat method when folding your breakfast crunchwrap. With your filling ingredients layered on, start by folding up one edge of the large tortilla. Press down to flatten the folded side of the tortilla, then fold it up again to create “pleats” that will seal on the griddle. Continue all the way around, until each wrap is assembled and ready to cook!
See how to make a breakfast crunchwrap in my Copycat Taco Bell Crunchwrap video!
Breakfast Crunchwrap Recipe
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 4-6 eggs, whisked
- 8 large flour tortillas, (10-inch, burrito size)
- ¼ cup nacho cheese sauce
- 4 corn tostada shells
- 3 Tbsp ketchup, (or hot sauce)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- cooking spray
Cook Sausage & Eggs
- Add breakfast sausage to a skillet over medium-high heat and cook through. I recommend browning larger chunks at first, then gradually breaking into ground crumbles. (Season to taste, if needed.)
- Separately, pour whisked eggs into a pan over medium heat and scramble to your liking.
- Once cooked, set aside.
- Place a tostada on top of a large tortilla. Use a sharp knife to cut around the tostada, so you end up with a smaller tortilla that’s the same size as the tostada.
- Repeat 3 additional times, so you end up with 4 small tortilla rounds and 4 intact large tortillas (for 4 crunchwraps total).
- (Save tortilla scraps to make mini quesadillas or baked bunuelos chips!)
Assemble & Fold Crunchwraps
- To assemble each crunchwrap, lay a large tortilla flat and spread about 1 Tbsp of nacho cheese sauce onto the center of it. (Spread the sauce in a circle that’s about the size of a tostada, then stack your fillings on top. Make sure there is still enough of a border around the tortilla to fold in the edges!)
- Add a scoop of cooked breakfast sausage (about 3-4oz or ¼ of the mixture) on top of the nacho cheese.
- Spread ketchup on a tostada, then place the tostada on top of the meat.
- Top with scrambled eggs and shredded cheese. (The cheese should be close to the top so it will melt when cooked!)
- Place a small tortilla round on top of the cheese, then fold the edges of the large tortilla inward toward the center.
- After folding up one edge, press the side of the tortilla down flat, fold it over to the middle, and create “pleats” that will hold when pressed on the griddle. Press, fold, and pleat until crunchwrap is assembled.
- Rest prepared crunchwraps with the seam-side down to ensure they stay together while assembling the others.
- Repeat assembly process with remaining crunchwraps.
- Preheat a griddle to 350°F (180°C) or a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spray the wrap lightly with cooking spray or add a little oil to the pan.
- Add each crunchwrap to the griddle—seam-side down—pressing with a spatula to seal and flatten. (Do your best to make sure they’re relatively flat and touching the griddle!)
- Cook 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.