Lemon Garlic Green Beans | Healthy Thanksgiving Side Dish
Lemon Garlic Green Beans – Healthy Green Bean Casserole!
For a simple, healthy twist on classic green bean casserole, try these lemon garlic green beans! Really, all you need are green beans, lemon juice, and some simple seasoning. Plus, slivered almonds if you want some more crunch—or any mix-ins you like!
I know, this definitely isn’t the same as the old-school green bean casserole. But, green beans are truly delicious all on their own! And, slivered almonds act as a more wholesome source of crunch than the classic French fried onions.
Plus, you get to actually enjoy green beans’ natural, subtly sweet flavor and crisp texture in this lemon garlic green bean dish. It’s flavorful and healthy Thanksgiving side dish that can complement the heartier dishes at your feast! And, I feel less guilty about my second slice of pie…
To Serve Warm OR Cold:
Personally, I LOVE fresh, crispy green beans in a cold salad during the holidays! So, when I make these lemon garlic green beans, I prefer to blanch my beans for just a few minutes. That way, they retain some of that fresh crunch and it’s one less dish that I have to keep warm!
But, if you’d rather serve these lemon garlic green beans warm, just cook your beans a bit longer—about 5-6 minutes—until they’re deliciously tender. Either way, warm or cold, you’re bound to love the tasty flavors and EASY preparation of this dish on Thanksgiving Day!
Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp minced garlic, or garlic paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional: ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Blanch green beans for 2-3 minutes, until vibrant and crisp. (Boil longer for a warm green bean dish!)
- Drain and cool under cold water, or in an ice bath.
- Whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add blanched green beans and toss to coat.
- Add slivered almonds to lemon garlic green beans, if desired, and stir to combine.
- Serve cold and devour!
- Yields ~4 cups lemon garlic green beans.