Homemade Berry BBQ Sauce | Low Sugar & Gluten Free
Low Sugar Homemade Berry BBQ Sauce – Vegan & Gluten-Free!
This low sugar homemade berry BBQ sauce has a hint of sweet and a hint of spice! Made with fresh blueberries and blackberries, it’s loaded with juicy, summer flavor. Plus, a bit of cayenne for a heat kick and a savory bite of mustard powder!
Low in Sugar, Loaded with Flavor
Generally, store-bought BBQ sauces are LOADED with added sugars, and it can be tough to find a low sugar option. But, with this homemade berry BBQ sauce, YOU control the sugar content. And, the fresh berries add loads of naturally sweet, tangy flavor!
That’s why, along with the ketchup, the only other source of sweetness in this recipe is 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar. So, altogether, one serving of this homemade berry BBQ sauce has just 4g of sugar—most of which are natural sugars from the fruit!
And, since savory and zesty flavors are equally important to the BBQ experience, I added in some mustard powder and cayenne. Of course, you can leave the cayenne out if you don’t want the heat. Or, get creative with your favorite seasonings and spices!
Feel free to adjust the recipe and make this homemade berry BBQ sauce your own. And, don’t hold back slathering it onto cuts of chicken, pork chops, or any meat that you like. Or, you could even give it a whirl with jackfruit for a meatless option! Seriously, it’s so dang good.
Homemade Berry BBQ Sauce
- 1½ cups blackberries
- 1½ cups blueberries
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- Add berries to pot over medium-low heat with lemon juice. Let berries reduce until they start to pop, and mash into a jam. Allow to thicken.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients to the pot. Mix to combine over heat, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until integrated.
- Turn off heat and remove sauce from pan.
- Serve as a dipping sauce, or use to slather onto a protein for a juicy, delicious meal!
- Yields 2 cups homemade berry BBQ sauce. (Use 2-3 Tbsp sauce per chicken breast or desired cut of meat.)