Healthy Funfetti Mug Cake Recipe
Dairy Free & Gluten Free Funfetti Mug Cake – Easy Microwave Mug Cake!
Whether you’re living in a studio apartment or a college student in a dorm, this healthy funfetti mug cake has you covered. With just a mug, a microwave, and a few simple ingredients, you can have a warm, fluffy cake ready in just 1 minute!
Sometimes, when you’re trying to eat healthy, a sweet craving hits and fruit just won’t cut it. But, if you’ve got baked goodies on the brain and you don’t have an oven…what to do? Microwave mug cakes: to the rescue!
How to Make a Funfetti Mug Cake – with Simple, Clean Ingredients
I’ve kept this healthy funfetti mug cake whole grain AND gluten free by using oat flour as my base. And, instead of buying oat flour, save some bucks by blending up oats and making your own! (Be sure to use certified gluten free oats/flour for a 100% gluten free funfetti mug cake.)
Personally, I’m always looking for ways to keep my grocery bill lower, and homemade oat flour is a simple budget swap that doesn’t take much extra effort. Plus, cutting down on costs is especially important when it comes to meal prep for college students!
Then, you have the option to make your funfetti mug cake with butter, OR with coconut oil for a dairy free dessert. I think butter creates a fluffier texture, and I like to use grass-fed butter because it’s cleaner and more nutritious. But, coconut oil will also work just fine!
And, with the natural no-calorie sweetener of your choice, you can keep the sugar content to a minimum. In this gluten free funfetti mug cake for one, there are only 4g of sugar total—sprinkles and all!
Gluten Free Funfetti Mug Cake
- ¼-⅓ cup oat flour, can make your own by blending rolled/quick oats!
- 2 Tbsp granulated sweetener of choice
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sprinkles
- Spray the inside of a 12-oz mug with cooking spray.
- Add dry ingredients (oat flour, granulated sweetener, baking powder, and salt) and whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients (egg yolk, melted coconut oil or butter, milk, and vanilla extract) and mix well, until no clumps or lumps remain.
- Stir in sprinkles last, just before microwaving (if you want a funfetti mug cake, or omit for a vanilla cake).
- Microwave 45-70 seconds (about 1 minute), until spongy and springy to the touch. (This cook time is based on my 1000-watt microwave at 100% power, but cook time may vary depending on your microwave!)
- Turn mug over onto a plate, remove cake, serve, and enjoy!