Chile Tofu Vegetarian Poke Bowl Recipe | DIY Poke Bowl
Homemade Vegetarian Poke Bowl with Chile Garlic Tofu & Shiitake Mushrooms
This vegetarian poke bowl recipe is perfect for a plant-based lifestyle, or if you’re just not a fan of sushi-grade fish! Marinated in a tangy chile garlic sauce, the tofu is sure to wake up your taste buds. And, in classic poke style, you don’t even have to cook your tofu!
Luckily, tofu is a flavor sponge that’s super versatile and can take on all sorts of flavors. But, the key is to give to tofu enough time to soak in those flavors. So, for this vegetarian poke bowl, I marinated my tofu in a simple chile garlic sauce for about 30 minutes.
And, while it’s working its flavor-soaking magic, I can get my quinoa and shiitake chile mushrooms cooked! I’m a HUGE fan of mushrooms, and I can’t get enough garlic… But, the components of this vegetarian poke bowl are just my ideas. Feel free to go wild with your own flavors and ingredients!
Or, you can stick to this recipe and just serve it over rice instead of quinoa. There are NO rules—use this concept to inspire your own ideas. You CAN make a vegetarian poke bowl that’s totally filling, fresh, and flavorful. And, this particular bowl has 13g of protein per serving!
Chile Tofu Vegetarian Poke Bowl
Vegetarian Poke Bowl Ingredients:
- cooked quinoa
- seaweed salad
- shiitake chile mushrooms, see below
- 4 oz. tofu, cubed & marinated (see below)
- green onion, finely chopped
Chile Garlic Tofu Marinade:
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp chile garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp garlic paste
Shiitake Chile Mushrooms:
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 6 Tbsp broth
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- drizzle of avocado oil
- 1 tsp chile sesame oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cut tofu into cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tofu marinade ingredients. Whisk to integrate.
- Toss tofu in marinade and allow to sit for 30 minutes or longer, to allow the flavors to absorb.
- While tofu marinates, prepare shiitake chile mushrooms. Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms and thinly slice lengthwise.
- Heat broth in a skillet over medium heat and whisk in garlic paste.
- When steaming, add mushrooms, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove lid and allow to cook for 4 more minutes.
- Drizzle on avocado oil and chile sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Assemble your poke bowl! I used quinoa as a base, topped with seaweed salad (that I bought at the store), my shiitake chile mushrooms, marinated tofu, any leftover marinade as sauce, and chopped green onion.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Yields 1 serving marinated tofu and shiitake mushrooms (multiply the recipes for multiple servings).