Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Mug Cake | Easy Breakfast Dessert
Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Mug Cake – 5 Minute EASY Breakfast!
I don’t know what’s better: a wholesome breakfast that tastes like dessert, or a microwaveable breakfast-in-a-mug?!
With this easy pineapple upside down mug cake recipe, you can have the best of both worlds!
You’ll satisfy your sweet tooth first thing in the morning—with a deliciously nutritious breakfast that only takes FIVE MINUTES to make. (Oh, and did I mention this is a gluten-free mug cake recipe?!)
Seriously, you just can’t beat breakfast mug cake recipes.
Because, let’s be real: mornings are BUSY.
Whether you’re rushing to work, headed to school, or just have things to do and places to be, there’s not always time to get in the kitchen and cook breakfast.
But, sometimes skipping breakfast comes back to bite us!
We might get hungry and cranky halfway through the morning (a.k.a ‘hangry’), and it’s tough to get through the day when the belly is rumbling. Or, we end up over-snacking and overdoing it later in the day!
Pineapple Upside Down Mug Cake, to the Rescue!
That’s where mug cake recipes come to the rescue.
Just mix your batter together, pour it into a mug, and pop it in the microwave!
Some mug cake recipes turn out dry and gummy, but this pineapple upside down mug cake has an unbelievably soft and springy texture—just like a freshly baked cake.
You’d never guess it was cooked in a microwave!
That’s because of the oat flour, which is much lighter and fluffier than traditional flour. And it’s gluten-free!
Plus, you can save a few bucks by tossing oats into a blender and making your own oat flour at home.
(For anyone with Celiac or a gluten sensitivity, be sure to choose certified gluten-free oats or oat flour!)
Or, you could make your pineapple upside down mug cake with coconut flour instead!
But, keep in mind that it’s denser than oat flour, so you’ll need to use less coconut flour than you would oat flour.
If You Like It, Put a Pineapple Ring On It
For all of the pineapple fans out there, this is totally the mug cake for you.
It’s made with pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, AND a pineapple ring on top, so you get that yummy tropical flavor in every bite.
Plus, pineapple upside down cake is truly the PERFECT mug cake recipe.
You can trim the pineapple ring to fit the bottom of your mug before pouring in your batter. Then, just microwave and flip your mug over onto a plate to reveal a steaming, gorgeous pineapple upside down MUG cake!
Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Mug Cake
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 pineapple ring, fresh or from a can, that will fit in a mug
Mug Cake Batter:
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup oat flour OR 4 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1-2 Tbsp sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped pineapple
- 1 cherry
- Spray a 12-oz mug with cooking spray, then sprinkle inside of mug with coconut sugar. Add pineapple ring to bottom of mug.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg, oil, vanilla, almond milk, and pineapple juice and stir to integrate.
- Add sweetener, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to combine. Fold in fresh, chopped pineapple.
- Pour batter into mug. Microwave 2½ -3 minutes (150-180 seconds). It should be soft and springy to the touch.
- Flip mug over a plate, remove cake from mug, and enjoy topped with a cherry!
- Yields 1 pineapple upside down mug cake.