Hazelnut Chocolate Energy Bites | Vegan & Paleo
Roasted Hazelnut & Chocolate Energy Bites – Vegan & Paleo No Bake Energy Bites!
If you’re a fan of chocolate hazelnut spread (a.k.a. Nutella), these chocolate energy bites are meant for you! Roasted hazelnuts give these goodies a warm, rich flavor that’s SO comforting. And, with prunes for a natural, silky sweetness, you don’t even need to add any sugar or sweetener!
Plus, the scrumptious chocolate flavor comes from the source: cocoa powder. Personally, I love the rich, bold taste it gives these chocolate energy bites. And, it keeps this recipe totally dairy-free and vegan! A tasty-yet-light dessert, or a simple, sweet snack to include in your next meal prep!
Chocolate Energy Bites, Powered by Hazelnuts
Okay, so ALL of the ingredients in these chocolate energy bites have some amazing benefits. Prunes and almond butter pack a serious fiber-filled punch. Cocoa is one of the most antioxidant rich foods on the planet. And, coconut oil contains energizing, superfood fatty acids known as MCTs!
But, hazelnuts are a lesser-used ingredient, and one of my favorites. Like other nuts, they’re loaded with fiber, essential minerals, and loads of antioxidants. And, their rich content of healthy fats makes them a heart-health superstar!
Yet, one of the most impressive hazelnut health benefits is their brain-boosting power! Along with monounsaturated fats, hazelnuts are rich in vitamin E, manganese, and folate. And, all of these nutrients are associated with brain health, helping our minds stay sharp and prevent cognitive decline.
On top of that, hazelnuts are a great source of magnesium, which helps fight inflammation, reduce blood pressure, and can even improve sleep!
Can’t Beat a Healthy Chocolate Treat…
But, all health benefits aside, these hazelnut chocolate energy bites are just plain tasty. And, you don’t even have to turn on the oven to make them… Give ‘em a whirl—you’ll be glad you did!
Craving Easy Vegan Recipes?
You might like my 100+ Healthy Vegan Recipes eBook!
Hazelnut Chocolate Energy Bites
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts
- 1½ cups prunes
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- pinch of salt
- To roast your hazelnuts, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out hazelnuts into one single layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes, keeping an eye on them to make sure they aren’t burning
- Let them cool for 2-3 minutes, and then rub them vigorously in a clean tea towel to remove the skins. (It’s okay if you don’t get ALL of the skins off so every nut is completely naked, but removing the skins will make your hazelnuts less bitter when blended!)
- In a food processor, blend hazelnuts until crushed.
- Add prunes and coconut oil and pulse until mixed. Scrape down sides as necessary.
- Add almond butter, cocoa powder, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Portion your energy balls (I used a 2-teaspoon cookie scoop) and roll into balls with your hands.
- Store in an airtight container and allow to set in the fridge for about an hour before enjoying!
- Yields 30 chocolate energy bites.