Low Carb Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Bars
Almond Flour Shortbread Bars
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 servings
Almond Flour Shortbread:
¼ cup grass-fed butter, softened
⅓ cup erythritol or sweetener of choice
½ tsp vanilla extract
⅛ tsp salt
1⅔ cups almond flour
Chocolate Peppermint Topping:
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup chocolate chips (milk, dark, dairy-free, etc.)
2 tsp peppermint extract
2-3 Tbsp crushed peppermints/starlight mints
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter and erythritol together with hand mixer.
Add vanilla and salt.
Beat in almond flour, adding ~½ – ⅔ cup of flour at a time. (If your mixture isn’t turning into a dough, add 1 Tbsp of butter and adjust to desired consistency. It should hold together when pressed.)
- Press into a small glass baking dish (I used a 6×8-inch dish) lined with parchment or foil.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 25-30 min.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make your topping, melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir in peppermint extract.
- Spread melted chocolate mixture on top of cooled shortbread and sprinkle with crushed starlight mints.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Cut into bars, serve, and enjoy!
Yields 12 shortbread bars (depending on size of cut).
Nutrition: Low Carb Shortbread Bars, made with stevia-sweetened dark chocolate chips
Per square (depending on size of cut), yields 12 servings:
193 calories | 18g fat | 13g carbs | 6g fiber | 2g sugars | 5g protein
*Nutrition below provided for Shortbread Bars made with 60% dark chocolate chips:
- Serving Size: 1 shortbread bar
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 7
- Fat: 19
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5