Microwave Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Quinoa Oatmeal / Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving
1½ cups dry quinoa
3 cups water
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl:
½ cup cooked quinoa
2-3 Tbsp milk of choice
drizzle of honey or maple syrup
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt
¼ banana, sliced
dollop of yogurt of choice
(or any toppings you like!)
How to cook quinoa in microwave:
- Option: In a fine mesh strainer, rinse dry quinoa with cold water, if needed. (This step removes bitterness but may or may not be necessary, depending on the brand of quinoa you’re using.)
- Place 1½ cups dry quinoa (rinsed, if needed) and 3 cups water in a microwave-safe bowl or container.
- Cover with a lid or plate and cook 6 minutes. Remove and stir—half of the water should be absorbed.
- Return to the microwave for 4 more minutes and then allow to sit covered for 8-10 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork, serve, and enjoy! Or, store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Yields ~5-6 cups cooked quinoa.
To make a quinoa breakfast bowl:
- Add cooked quinoa to a bowl, along with a splash of milk, some honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Top with sliced banana, fresh berries, yogurt, or whatever you like!
- Yields 1 quinoa breakfast bowl.
*Nutrition provided for quinoa breakfast bowl made with unsweetened almond milk & 2 tsp honey, including sliced banana topping.
- Serving Size: 1 quinoa breakfast bowl
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 16
- Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 4