Simple blackened salmon recipe with sauteed spinach & sweet potato.
4 salmon filets (~2.5oz each)*
1 Tbsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne (to taste)
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp oil or melted butter
2 cups sweet potato, chopped (or butternut squash)
drizzle of oil salt, to taste
1 Tbsp coconut aminos
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups spinach
- To cook veggies, heat a deep pan over medium-high to high heat. Add oil to the pan—and be sure to use an oil with a higher smoke point, like avocado oil or light olive oil, since we’re cooking over high heat.
- Add chopped sweet potato (or butternut squash), along with half of a lemon. Cover and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Once browning on the bottom, uncover and season to taste with coconut aminos and salt. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. (Now is a great time to start cooking your blackened salmon!)
- Once cooked through, remove sweet potato from pan and set aside.
- Add a drizzle of oil to warm pan and saute garlic for one minute. Once fragrant, add spinach and a pinch of salt. Cover and allow to wilt for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve cooked sweet potato and spinach on a plate with blackened salmon! Squeeze juice from blackened lemon onto salmon and enjoy.
Blackened Salmon Filets
- To cook salmon, start by mixing together all spices and place in a flat dish or on a plate. Press each salmon filet into spice mixture, one at a time, flesh side only.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add a high smoke point oil (like avocado oil or light olive oil), or melted butter. When it begins to smoke, shut off heat. Add each coated salmon filet to pan, flesh side down.
- Turn heat back on and cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Flip salmon and cook on other side another 3-5 minutes, until crispy and easy to flake with a fork.
*I prepared this blackened salmon recipe using 4 thinner, smaller salmon cuts (~2.5oz each), known as “minute steaks.” They cook quickly, and they’re perfect for searing and blackening! You could also prepare this blackened salmon recipe using standard, larger filets (4-5oz each), you may just need to cook the filets for a bit longer.
Nutrition per 5oz serving salmon (2 small filets), yields 2 servings:
340 calories | 21g fat | 0g carbs | 0g fiber | 0g sugars | 37g protein
(0g net carbs)
Nutrition provided below for entire meal: 5oz blackened salmon and ½ of skillet veggies.
- Serving Size: 1 meal (salmon + veggies)
- Calories: 497
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 39g