Just like cooking regular oatmeal over the stove, but with a simple, savory twist!
Vegan | Vegetarian | Gluten Free* | Dairy Free | Nut Free
*Use certified gluten free oats for 100% gluten free.
7 cups broth (or broth diluted with water)
1 tsp salt, to taste (depending on how salty your broth is)
4 cups oats (rolled or quick-cooking)
drizzle of oil
2 tsp garlic, minced
½ cup chopped onions
- Optional: In a pot over medium-high heat, drizzle oil and sauté onions and garlic until tender.
- Pour broth (or broth diluted with water, instead of just water) into pot and add salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add oats, reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered—about 5 minutes for old-fashioned rolled oats, or 2-3 minutes for quick-cooking oats. (Cook time may also vary depending on the amount you’re cooking, as well as how thick or soupy you like your oats!)
- Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 2-3 more minutes.
Yields 8 cups cooked savory oatmeal.
- Serving Size: 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g